Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Additive animations on top of IK

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Somnesis, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Somnesis

Somnesis

Technically this should work but it doesn't seem to.

My setup:
    1. Base layer 0 (with IK)
    2. Gestures layer 1 (additive)
    3. OnAnimatorIK() on layer 0, I tell it to do a look at using SetLookAtPosition and SetLookAtWeight
    4. On the gesture layer I play a gesture

My expectation is that since the gesture layer exists *above* the base layer and is *additive*, playing an animation there (eg. a nod) should add that animation to the look at that's going on in layer 0. However, it seems like if I have the IK lookat going on in layer 0, it nullifies the additive nod that I play on layer 1 (at lease the effect of that nod on the bones that the look at is using).

Is this a bug in Mecanim? Or am I doing something wrong? Any way to work around this or do what I'm after in a different way?

Using Unity 2022.1.

Thanks!