Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Additive animations not working correctly when using extra animation files?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Ricks, May 9, 2014.

1. Ricks

Ricks

I got delivered an animated object from Lightwave. All animations came in extra .fbx files like:

object.fbx
    object@idle.fbx
    object@walk.fbx[

The animations are all there and I can play each one of them individually. But I need them additive: I first play a blending loop of the idle animation and then an additive loop of the walk animation. It doesn't work correctly meaning that the walk animation rotates around endlessly.

Thing is: I got another model using the exact same code - but this model has all animations integrated in 1 single .fbx file - and it works flawlessly! Now what is the reason it works on the one but not on the other? Does an object with extra animation files need special care?

PS: using Unity 3.5.7

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Ricks

Ricks

Well...the same issue persists in Unity 4.

Animations included in single file work with additive functions.
    Animations delivered as multiple files don't work with additive functions.

Is this a general issue when using separate animation files?

3. Ricks

Ricks

Updating my own investigation:

Since additive animations work correctly when I export multiple animation files from blender, I came to the conclusion that the Lightwave exporter seems to produce crappy files. Really, I have never experienced such a faulty, bugridden software like this. Not surprising, but still shocking as I already got a huge list of totally ridiculous issues only with this piece of software. Please anyone, do never ever use this application in your workflow. It will make you lose hair and run up the walls.