Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Additional Properties UX is refactored

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Tomas-Kiniulis, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

Hey folks,

Please be informed that for the upcoming 2021.1 release we have redesigned Additional Properties UX.

What does this mean?
    • Cogwheel button that was previously found on some Overrides and Components is removed.

What is it replaced with?
    • Additional Properties will now be found in the Context Menu(the rightmost button that was previously next to Cogwheel button).

• In the Menu there will be two options.
      • First one is "Show Additional Properties" which will display all the Additional Properties that the component has with a temporal highlight.

• Second option is "Show All Additional Properties". This will take you to Preferences window "Core Render Pipeline" category where you can either toggle ALL additional properties visible or hidden

Why did we change this?
    • Cogwheel button does not clearly represent what it stands for

• It was decided to use an already known framework, ie: the context menu

We hope these changes will reduce UX confusion in HDRP. We look forward to hearing your feedback.

AdditionalPropertiesRefactor.png

chap-unity likes this.
  2. Onigiri

Onigiri

I think i will enable it in preferences once for all because two clicks instead of one every time is too much for me. I like more spacing between properties!

Edit: I predict there will be hundreds of threads with question "Where did cogwheel button go" similar to what has been after package manager visibility changes

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. Korindian

Korindian

Yeah, I feel like there will be a lot of people not even knowing additional properties exist, with either the cog or the context menu, or in the preferences.

I'm curious why you don't just have all the editable properties visible all the time without any preferences. With proper tooltips, it doesn't really feel that the additional properties are difficult to understand, they don't take up that much space, and users will also know all the variables that can be tweaked.

I'll also be setting all additional properties to visible in the preferences as well.