Search Unity

Additional details around differences between Unity Remote Settings and Unity Remote Config

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by markychoi, Sep 9, 2019.

1. markychoi

markychoi

Unity today offers two separate, but similar products called Unity Remote Settings and Unity Remote Config. The latter, Unity Remote Config, is a new product offering from Unity that was introduced earlier this year in the summer of 2019. It is a modern replacement to Unity Remote Settings, which first came out in 2017.

Not only does Unity Remote Config offer most of the same functionality as Remote Settings, it also provides additional benefits and feature improvements including:
    • Does not require Unity Analytics integration
    • Offers the ability to deliver synchronous, "real-time" delivery of segment-specific values
    • Editor package shipped via Unity Package Manager. Improved Editor workflows and UI to speed of implementation during development-time.
    • Public, documented REST APIs for management of settings
    • And many more...

The vision for Unity Remote Config is that it will replace Remote Settings at some point in the future, at which point we will cease official support for Remote Settings. However, this will not happen in the near future, and we will provide developers reasonable time to transition over to Remote Config. Official support for Remote Settings is expected to end no later than May 2021.

We built Unity Remote Config from the ground up to solve existing limitations with Unity Remote Settings, such as a dependency on Unity Analytics and slower (8-12 hours) segmentation processing. The new offering will also unlock additional feature capabilities in the future.

Unity Remote Config requires a minimum Editor version of 2018.3+. The Remote Config package is offered as a Verified package as of 2019.3+

We would also advise you to evaluate Unity Remote Config and see if it fits your needs. If it does, you may want to consider mapping out a path to migrating from Remote Settings to Remote Config. To the extent that Remote Config does not meet your requirements, we would love to hear where it falls short so that we can take that feedback back to the team. Post your feedback here in the Forums, or reach us directly at remote-config@unity3d.com.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. game_apps

game_apps

Unity's email says, they will give us 1.5 years to do the transition and older remote settings will still work till may 2021?

Isnt it ? @markychoi

3. markychoi

markychoi

Yes, that is correct. Remote Settings will continue to be supported until May 2021. However, we strongly encourage that you start investigating whether you can migrate to Remote Config and plan for the work involved.

4. game_apps

game_apps

I can yes, but -

Why cant we add multiple key-value pairs in Config at once(from web dashboard), like we use to have in previous Remote Settings using a .csv?
    This is really needed, multiple games can have same common configurations too.

Will it be supported ? Any ETA if its planned?

5. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@game_apps sorry for the delay in responding, but yep! A .csv import on the new dashboard is currently planned for this quarter, so we're targeting by the end of the year to have that ready for use.

6. game_apps

game_apps

End of year is a huge time yes, its a simple thing to implement, not sure why would it take 3 months for this.

Thats the base to start the transition process, we could easily download .csv from older Remote Settings and uploaded to new Unity Remote Config, if it was early supported, no ?

If we go by manual way of entering key value pairs of all 100's of games, its a nightmare. @rambod

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  7. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

@rambod
    So Old Remote Settings will be shutdown on May 2020? All of my settings will gone and it's only use default value from local?

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

May 2021

9. markychoi

markychoi

@dohaiha930

From now until the deprecation date (May 31, 2021), there will be no changes to the functionality of Remote Settings. This means that customers will still be able to make changes to their Remote Settings implementation.

After the deprecation date, official Unity support for Remote Settings in the Operate Dashboard will cease. This will result in the following:
    • No ability to create, read, update, delete Remote Settings configurations.
    • Discontinuation of help desk support (email, bug filings, forum posts, etc.).
    • Delivery of Remote Settings from server to client will cease.
    • For Unity games that still contain Remote Settings client-side code, Remote Settings keys will fall back to the instrumented “default” value.

10. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

Thanks! I hope all feature of Remote Settings will be update to Remote Config like Export/Import CSV, Commit every change maken...v...v...

11. markychoi

markychoi

game_apps likes this.
  12. game_apps

game_apps

13. game_apps

game_apps

May be its good to add Import / Export feature in unity editor too ? In Unity 2018 and above versions :)
    We could use that Push button to move csv to dashboard from unity editor itself :)

14. game_apps

game_apps

OR you can add a button in unity editor which can directly open web dashboard, without us finding the game by manual search.

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@game_apps What is common between the source code in your 100's of games? If you can find commonalities, it might make sense to attempt to write some automation to do so. If you could share the relevant code from a couple of the games, we might be able to suggest some ideas. Hopefully you could do a "search and replace" within the source code with such a custom solution, then come in after to add specifics per game. Also, per your comment, there is a link at the top of the Services window in the Unity Editor that will take you directly to your game Dashboard.

16. game_apps

game_apps

@JeffDUnity3D Using Import Export csv option now available in Remote Config Web Dashboard, everything easy to migrate.

17. game_apps

game_apps

No, you are wrong, that Services window dont take us to "Unity Remote Config", it takes us to Unity Services, which further have "Remote Settings(deprecated)" in Optimisations tab, & doesnt have "Unity Remote Config" there.

18. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, my mistake

19. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@game_apps in the 1.0.8-preview release, we now have a button in the editor GUI that should take you to the new Remote Config dashboard

game_apps likes this.
  20. game_apps

game_apps

21. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

This is awesome! Now i can download CSV from obsolete Remote Settings and import to new Remote Config.
    Btw: Why did Unity Team just merge Remote Settings to Remote Config, so we can use new Remote Config without to change API, Code etc..

22. game_apps

game_apps

Btw, any plans to add Remote Config in unity 2017 LTS versions ? @rambod Its really needed to implement this in 2017 because we have many games made in 2017 and up|dating each of them to 2018 & 2019 is very time taking.
    May be release Remote Config on Asset Store as a seperate package too, which could also be used in latest 2017 lts releases?

23. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

I can talk to this a little bit, but the main reason was that the old Remote Settings relied heavily on Unity Analytics for segmentation. With Remote Config, this was one of the main things we wanted to remove, and unfortunately, it required us to re-architect the whole backend.

24. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@game_apps the current package uses APIs that are in 2018, and package manager isn't fully ready on 2017. However, you can use the dashboard, and recreate the runtime Remote Config request that is sent from the package, enabling your games in 2017 to make sure of the service.

25. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, I meant updating the source code, not the key-value pairs. If you have common code using RS, it may be possible to more easily upgrade to RC, but would take some time up front to write the parser. Just a suggestion if you have hundreds of games to upgrade.

game_apps likes this.
  26. game_apps

game_apps

Can you explain a bit more :) This looks way complex, just because your Unity Remote Config is not yet supported for 2017, its making migration process slower.

We wish if Unity Remote Config was available as unitypackage which could be usable for unity 2017 too.

27. game_apps

game_apps

Updating source code was quite easy yes :) We already did that for games which use unity 2018, but we cannot use Unity Remote Config for unity 2017, as stated above :(

28. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

I got it, thanks you!
    Hope it will live long. I prefer use Unity's solutions than firebase or any 3rd parties.

rambod likes this.
  29. tataygames

tataygames

I just implemented Unity Remote Settings this march 2020 lol.

And I contacted the support they sed:
    Please note that Remote Settings will be deprecated on May 5, 2020, I recommend that you migrate to the Remote Config for similar purposes.

So whats the truth May 2021 or May 2020?

I know many developers cant migrate unity 2018 and above. Because of compatibilty reasons on other plugins.
    I hope you can PROVIDE US a plugin in Asset Store thats supports Unity 2017 and below for this new Unity Remote Config.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  30. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

May 5, 2020 is the old deprecation date, and the latest deprecation date is May 31, 2021. Sorry about this and I will confirm with the Remote Config team whether there are plans to support Unity 2017.

31. tataygames

tataygames

Hi, thank you for the reply,
    Yes We all hope that you can provide us the latest remote config on asset store,
    I know there are tons of developer that cant migrate to 2018 and up version because like I sed,
    we use tons of plugins in our project which some is not compatible to another plugin, specially when we are going to switch to new unity version.

There are no other plugin that I can see on the web that can provide us, a remote config easily like unity have,
    google firebase is a headache specially on jar resolver which conflicts to other google plugins.

32. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Hi! I confirmed with the Remote Config team, unfortunately, there are no plans to support Unity 2017 and below at this point in time.