Search Unity

1. Click here to receive a gift with your purchase of Unity Pro or Unity Enterprise.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding vertices in probuilder to paint mesh ?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by visumecadroide, Sep 20, 2018.

1. visumecadroide

visumecadroide

Hello, from what i understood, vertex painting is to paint where there are vertices ( :eek: ). and not faces.
    The thing is that we tend to avoid having useless vertices/faces on a mesh usually and probuilder makes it easy.
    So getting the most of vertex painting seems unreachable.

Let's say i create a probuilder cube (size : x:5 y:1 z:5) that i want to paint in various colors to make a ground.
    How should i proceed to achieve this ?

Can i add vertices to the ground ? Is it a good or a bad choice for performances ?

You could answer with "just make your texture outside of unity then apply it to the mesh !" and that could work.
    But, if i am more interested in painting directly in unity, it's because i have roads for patroling AI to draw and during world building, roads are going to change and i will need to do fast adjustments to be producitve in my worfflow.

Thanks for helping me ;)

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yep, as it sounds, vertex painting is, erm, painting to vertices ;)

So, yes you need to add verts to get smooth color gradients and detail. However, you shouldn't need a super high polycount. I'd recommend creating a few demo shapes, duplicating them, and giving them various levels of subdivision (via ProBuilder). Then paint on each, and see what your minimum detail level is. Also, you can always add or remove verts later! :)

3. visumecadroide

visumecadroide

Thank you for your answer i will try that, ProBuilder is a very cool plugin. It is saving me a lot of hassle at the moment on many aspects :).

4. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

how do you add verts? can't find anything online and im stuck :/

unityunity