Search Unity

Adding relative rotation to root motion clips in timeline

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Joshua_strawchildgames, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Hey folks, I've been working on creating a VVS (visual vertical slice) so I'm relying on the timeline to put together the animations in my scene. However I have a few problems.

If I use the in-place animations, I have more control on the direction and distance traveled the character does, but it looks completely unnatural with varying speed between intervals. So I thought to use just the root motion versions of the animations.

Using root motion, I'm able to get very consistent speeds and animations since the distance and rotation is baked into the animation. However I have a problem for when I need to turn the animations (such as a corner). I can add a new animation track, applying y rotation offset and blend the offsets, but it looks pretty bad and sometimes it makes the speeds inconsistent.

I was hoping there would be a way to influence but not set the rotation of the character in the timeline, but there doesn't seem to be one. I tried making a script that applies offset to the characters rotation, but it doesn't work in the timeline (it pretty much ignores it, although it works in play mode).

So I just wanted to ask you folks if you knew of a way to do relative rotation changes in the middle of root motion animations without the need to set rotation every time.

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Are you using OnAnimatorMove() to do that, and does your script have [ExecuteInEditMode] applied?

3. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

{ExecuteInEditMode] is applied, but I am not using OnAnimatorMove()! I'll try that, Thanks!

4. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Sorry for the delay on this. I tried this and unfortunately this doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

5. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

That's too bad. You could try to use a recorded clip on an override track to modify just the problematic section. Remove the extrapolation and use the ease in/out methods.

upload_2019-1-28_8-5-26.png