Search Unity

Adding music or sound from a different game

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Chrono99, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Chrono99

Chrono99

Ive been making a horror game for about 2 weeks now. Mostly watching and reading every tutorial I can possibly find. My question is I wanna add some music from Silent Hill 2 but I don't wanna get sued. How would I go about doing that?? Ive seen a few other indie games that have Silent Hill music in them. Is it ok to just add the music or should I try to contact Konami somehow and ask???
    I was playing music in 3D which was my problem
    Maybe if I credit music to Konami??

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. blizzy

blizzy

It depends on the license terms under which you have access to the music. Do they include reuse in another project? You should definitely not just do something and hope it is alright. This will most certainly get you into legal trouble. If anything, contact them and ask for permission/license.

3. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

If your game will not be commercial, using the music may be alright (but I wouldn't count on it). However, if your game will be commercial, I highly advice against using Konami's music.

As for asking Konami for permission to use the music, I'd rather not. First of all, the chances of them replying back to you are very slim. Even lower are the chances of them actually giving you permission to make money from something that they have created.