Search Unity

Adding Destructibility to an Imported Asset

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ChazMc, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ChazMc

ChazMc

My question is this: Is there a way to add a "destructible mesh script" of sorts to an imported 3D asset? (Maya, 3ds max etc) or does the 3D asset have to be created in the game engine to add this type of feature?

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Destroy it with premade animations you simply play on the mesh, or go the complex route and setup dynamic destruction to some extent.

3. ChazMc

ChazMc

Ok gotcha. So lets say a person was shooting up a building and it was to break down in various ways such as a loss of walls or floors before the entire building collapses....this would fall into a category of more dynamic scripting to achieve ??

4. Mauri

Mauri

Well... some Assets exist for dynamic destruction (such as Fracturing & Destruction or DestroyIt), but you could also use Blender's Cell Fracture/Fracture Tools feature or Blender Fracture Modifier (which is a custom Blender version, made just for destruction).

Check out the following videos:

5. ChazMc

ChazMc

Much appreciated...I would presume that each engine (unity, unreal) as well as modeling kit (blender, C4D, maya) would have something to this affect? I suppose its just going to take some playing around with... Thanks again