Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding bloom to only specific objects...?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Archarial, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Archarial

Archarial

Is it possible to add a bloom ppe to only specific materials or objects? For instance, if I have tracer rounds shooting out of a gun and I want bloom on those particles, but not on a streetlamp in the same scene, is that possible?

Or is it only possible to achieve bloom equally on everything in a scene?

2. Archarial

Archarial

Still looking for a solution to this issue if anyone has any ideas or input.

3. Mauri

Mauri

4. Oriles

Oriles

You can put two cameras at the same place and then have each camera render different layers.
    So you would set your rounds to for example on "TracerRounds" layer and have one camera render only TracerRounds layer (setting cameras Culling mask to TracerRounds and settings clear Flags to Don't clear) and the main camera would render everything but TraceRounds layer.

xorpheous likes this.
  5. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

6. diliupg

diliupg

7. CaptJim

CaptJim

Was this ever solved without the use of plugins? Neither of the plugins seem appropriate for the latest version of Unity. I've also been struggling to use the 2 camera method because I can't get Unity to display 2 cameras 'at the same time'. Has anyone ever got it to work? Surely this is solvable now?

8. Kokkivos

Kokkivos

Turns out you can just do this with emissive materials/HDR. Simply use one camera with bloom post processing enabled, and set the threshold to 1. This prevents anything non-HDR from getting bloomed, so normal lighting/materials are unaffected.

Make sure "Allow HDR" is checked on your camera. Just choose the models you want to bloom, and enable emission on their materials to apply bloom.

bloom.JPG

Choose the hue to set the bloom color, then set the brightness to set the amount of bloom. You can add extra amounts of bloom by setting the number to the right of the color selector to go past a brightness of 1.

If unintended objects in the scene are receiving too much bloom, you can turn down the bloom threshold and turn up the brightness on your emission materials.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018