Search Unity

Adding a new particle system increases the SetPass call in one Unity version, but not in another ver

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by TheSaviour, Aug 3, 2019.

1. TheSaviour

TheSaviour

I'm using 2 versions of Unity: 2018.3.14 and 2019.1.9

In both of the versions, I have 2 scenes: Scene A and Scene B.

In scene A (of both Unity versions), when I don't have any particle systems in my scene, the number of SetPass calls is 6. When I add a new particle system, the SetPass call stays at 6 in version 2018.3.14, but increases to 7 in version 2019.1.9. As a matter of fact, no matter how many particle systems I add in Scene A of version 2018.3.14, the number of SetPass calls stay the same (even when all particle systems have different materials), whereas in version 2019.1.9, adding a new particle system increases the number of SetPass calls. Initially, I thought this is probably a change that the Unity developers made for the newer versions of Unity.

Things got weird when I ran the same test in Scene B of both Unity versions. In both of the versions, when I add a new particle system to Scene B, the SetPass call increases. Every time I add a new particle system (with each system having a different material), the SetPass call increases. This applies to both Unity versions.

Why is it that adding a new particle system in Scene A of version 2018.3.14 doesn't change the SetPass calls and adding a new particle system in Scene A of version 2019.1.9 does increase the SetPass calls, where in Scene B of both Unity versions, the SetPass calls increase whenever a new particle system is added?

You might be wondering, "Maybe I did something different in Scene A which is causing the SetPass calls to behave differently". In this case, I should let you know that in both Unity versions, Scene A is my main game scene. It is where I created my game and it contains all the other prefabs (with scripts) in the hierarchy. However, I ran the tests above AFTER deleting all the prefabs so that both Scene A and Scene B are the same. But I got the same results.

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey, can you submit a bug report for this?

3. TheSaviour

TheSaviour

Sure I can do that. But is the SetPass call supposed to increase when a new particle system is added (even if the particle system isn't playing)?

4. brownboot67

brownboot67

In 2018 I have noticed the game view stats panel does not necessarily update when you're not in play mode. You need to focus or rescale the game window to update it.