Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Feedback Adding a back button to Project window/tab

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by merpheus, Nov 24, 2020.

1. merpheus

merpheus

Since this version of unity seem to offer some major changes on editor UI, such as the ability of docking things around, I think it can be a good time to resurface a major missing component on editor UI for YEARS.

Which is the back button on Project window/tab. I work with multiple Project tabs and tend to lock two of them while having one free and go where ever I double click, although, sometimes I just need to quickly go back after checking stuff.

I believe it is a common issue throughout the user base. So, if you folks may consider this feature, that would be really nice.

2. BonitaPersona

BonitaPersona

Yes! Right now I have seen everyone work around this by having more than 1 project view opened and locked manually.

I'd rather call it "previous" because "back" could be mixed up with going back up a folder.

Can't the last 10 selected GUIDs be saved for that "back/previous"? Or maybe save the folders, instead of the GUID. Of course, reimporting and changing GUIDs would wipe out this queue.

And maybe even allow a "next" in case you want to quickly alternate between two folders. Back, next, back, next. Instead of a queue, storing on an array that is truncated once you go back and do any change.

I'd even move this feedback to all of the current Unity versions.

merpheus likes this.
  3. adamgolden

adamgolden

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Ksanone, SealDev, seandanger and 4 others like this.
  4. merpheus

merpheus

This is wonderful!!! In fact, this should be a default Unity feature :)

adamgolden likes this.
  5. seandanger

seandanger

Thank you very much for this great tool!

adamgolden likes this.
  6. ikoniaev_a

ikoniaev_a

Hello from 2021, there is still no Back button in the Project tab in Unity by default. They don’t read community feedback, don’t waste time.

7. MarkHelsinki

MarkHelsinki

Anyone who find that this useful addon struggles to impose a minSize.x for docked windows can exploit Unity's internal class readonly value, thereby setting the BUTTON_SIZE to 80, which will give you nice big back and forward buttons, and less 'dead' space in your editor