Search Unity

Added support for components custom attributes in Sketchup importer

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by aarondmarr, Jul 6, 2020.

1. aarondmarr

aarondmarr

Hello! I see that "Added support for components custom attributes in Sketchup importer" has been listed on alpha and beta 2020 release notes for a while, but I was wondering if anyone knows the context? I'm taking advantage of the free premium learning and getting started with Unity. I have about 11 years of experience with SketchUp and 4 years with SOLIDWORKS, and I'm very familiar with SketchUp dynamic components and custom attributes. If anyone is "in the know" on this incoming feature and can provide more context it would be appreciated. I'm probably weeks or months away yet from figuring out what my workflows will be, but having a large library of created assets in SketchUp, mostly dynamic components, this caught my eye pretty quickly. Thank you in advance for reading!

I'm also sorry in advance if this is already answered somewhere, I searched for keywords in advance, but I'm naturally also new to the forum and may have missed something obvious. I hope not.

2. TommyNbg

TommyNbg

I stumbled upon your thread. I am a beginner so I can't help you and I also wait for some experts to answer your question. What happens at the moment when you import dynamic components to unity? Do they get transformed to normal meshes and forget their dynamic behaviour? What is your expectation for the future? That you can use the dynamic fields in unity just like you do in Sketchup?

3. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

This is pretty much the same feature that's already available in the FBX importer: users can add custom data to objects in Sketchup and implement an AssetPostProcessor to handle it. See here for docs.