Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Add transform from one rig to another

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Ed_Muel, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Ed_Muel

Ed_Muel

Hi,

I have two character models that are humanoid and work with the same animation set. However, one model works much better, the weapon animation ties in with the arm movements much slicker. I checked and it was custom made to work with that animation set and includes a transform to put the weapon in to which is then animated rather than rely on just the hand movements.

The transforms are not the same, and this additional weapon transform is not humanoid so doesn't show up in any avatar configurations... Tbh I'm not even sure what it is or how it got there but I am very new to the whole animation process.

Does any one know a way of transferring the additional transform from one rig to the other and have it pick up the animations, I've obviously tried just hacking it in there but no animation happens, from what I can tell it's just a normal transform...

Thanks

PolygonPros likes this.
  2. StefanTomov

StefanTomov

If I understand your question correctly, the problem is that the second character's sword isn't animating properly?
    Ok, if that's the case here are some questions for you -

- Are the characters using the same rig (same bone structure)?
    - Is the weapon of each character bound to an extra bone (an extra control in the skeleton e.g. Left_Hand_Bone or Left_Grab_Bone?
    - Is the weapon, instead, not bound to any bone and you just positioned it in the hand position and bound it to the hand joint in Unity?

Hope those questions make sense. Answering them will help me understand you problem.

I have a similar problem where I have an additional bone in the skeleton to control and animate a sword scabbard, but the Humanoid Skeleton rig in Unity doesn't read them, only reading the main body bones.
    Switching my rig type back to Generic fixes the issue, but then I can't use Humanoid IK systems, or re-target animation properly.

3. Ed_Muel

Ed_Muel

hi,

thanks for getting back to me, I'll try to answer those questions as best I can.

let's start with the original model and animation, let's call them model A and animation A. They both have exactly the same rig, starting at hips, 2 spines leading to shoulders, etc... in the right hand they have an additional non humanoid transform called 'Weapon Prop' this is animated and keeps the weapon in line with both hands at all times. if you just stick the weapon in the hand then you can't get it perfect in all positions.

Then I downloaded model b, which has a completely different set up, starting with pelvis, then 3 spines etc.. but it's still humanoid so everything for the most part works. but model b is missing a transform / bone for weapon prop, and because the set up is so different I don't think it will ever automatically retarget it if I just add one in from unity.

I tried hacking model B to use the same naming conventions as model A, then copied the avatar across, but the monstrosity I ended up with was pretty messed up.

So is there any way I can get unity to understand a transform on model B represents 'weapon prop' from Animation A, even if the rest of the rig doesn't match?

my next plan is to open the fbx in blender, add a bone in to the hand called 'weapon prop', reimport it to unity, expose it in the rig and add the weapon to that, do you think that will work? it's much further down the animation Rabbit hole than I wanted to go...

I haven't tried switching to generic. Would I have to do anything other than add a transform in for it? I don't need root motion or IK...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. Ed_Muel

Ed_Muel

Quick update

So far nothing has worked the way I've wanted, the only way I can see to do this is to completely redo the rig so that it matches the bones and naming conventions of the previous rig. So become an expert on blender just got added to my to do list... my amateur attempts so for have come out deformed.

A bit disappointed as I purchased the assets on the basis the reviews said they worked together, but they clearly don't as one has a whole extra section the other is missing and there's no way to add it in. I don't particularly want a refund as both assets are good, just don't work together.