Search Unity

Add torque

Discussion in 'Physics' started by PolyMad, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PolyMad

PolyMad

The torque can be added to a Unity object in 4 ways:
    • Force
    • Impulse
    • Velocity Change
    • Acceleration.
    However, I couldn't find ANY documentation on this after hours of search. There's nothing on the manual (explanatory) nor I could find anything on forums etc.

Also: can anybody tell me why when I add a HINGE JOINT the axis is always broken by transverse forces?
    Shouldn't the object just stay in axis and just rotate?
    I'm really getting mad at this.

AlejandroHaibi likes this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

3. PolyMad

PolyMad

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Page tells you how to add torque and relative torque. Plus inform about AddForce
    And if you add . (dot) at your RigidBody, you will see options including velocity.

From there you can derive acceleration. And velocity change (delta) is acceleration.
    But you have your answer anyway. It would be nice, if you post it here for others too.

5. PolyMad

PolyMad

I will, from pc, now I'm on phone.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

7. Edy

Edy

Isn't that information here?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ForceMode.html

There's a brief description of each parameter at the bottom of the page, but the doc assumes the parameters to be used in AddForce. The equivalencies between AddForce and AddTorque are:
    • Force --> Torque
    • Mass --> Inertia
    • Acceleration --> Angular Acceleration
    • Velocity --> Angular Velocity
    Everything in SI units.

Deeeds and Antypodish like this.
  8. PolyMad

PolyMad

Thank you! :)

9. Antypodish

Antypodish

10. PolyMad

PolyMad

Anty, you are peeing out of the bowl while being uselessly polemic.
    I asked WHAT these DIFFERENT WAYS OF APPLYING FORCE DO.
    Maybe I wasn't exactly clear, however here is the text of the first post:

"The torque can be added to a Unity object in 4 ways:
    • Force
    • Impulse
    • Velocity Change
    • Acceleration.
    However, I couldn't find ANY documentation on this after hours of search. There's nothing on the manual (explanatory) nor I could find anything on forums etc."

Byeeee!

r_roman_roman and roddles like this.
  11. YBtheS

YBtheS

I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I just randomly stumbled upon this thread but the link that Anty pointed out (that says ForceMode with a square around it) brings you to a page in the manual that explains what each force mode does. He or she is just pointing out that you said that "there's nothing on the manual (explanatory)" even though there is.

Once again, no disrespect.

Antypodish likes this.
  12. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is not type of attitude I came here. So please calm down.

I gave you resources to rigidbody, with internal link ForceMode being there plus more, which exactly pointed to the page, suggested by @Edy . Yet you said:
    So I can presume you either didn't checked what I provided thoroughly, or you don't know how to search for the right answer.

So how any information can be of use to you, if not given straight away on the plate?
    But I let off. Searching for information is a skill, which takes long time to get mastered.

13. Deeeds

Deeeds

If you can't understand the rage inducing tangential obscurities and seemingly deliberate un-design prevalent throughout Unity documentation, API naming and systems integrations, then please, at the very least, be a little considerate of the fact that for some, it is rage inducing.

Time and time again you see it, people raging about this stuff that causes you no grief. If it's happening, even though it's not happening to you, and it's not just a few people, then there must be some mitigating factors causing it. Presume that, even if you don't experience it.

Learn to see that the problems they're talking about, although each small in your eyes, or even non-issues in your eyes, are tiresome and aggravating, in the extreme, to someone having experience using well designed and developed systems and software.

Some people really do have expectations of care and consideration being applied the design of products and services, and have had them met in past experiences, because some other people really do care about what they make and how they shape it to be utilised and experienced.

Resorting to the "you're free to use another engine" does not address the issue, it's the opposite. Creating delight in the innate discoverability and enjoyability of use is something other makers of other tools, toys, services and creative software have delighted in providing their users. Even if you've never known this, or not ever recognised or experienced it.

Feel free to congratulate yourself for being enlightened and above these trivial emotional responses. But please, please, PLEASE be considerate of the fact that it's happening to others, even if you don't know why, and they don't know why.

I know the OP's pain, and I see many others going through various stages, phases and periods of it. And they will continue to do so, for as long as they use Unity. It is somewhat unique to those that have expectations and the products that fail to meet them.

14. PolyMad

PolyMad

You know, I saw those posts showing off exactly where the stuff (supposedly in your mind, because you didn' understand what I wanted to know) was, like saying: are you blind?
    That's why I think those posts are polemic.
    However, once I find back that snippet of info I was looking for (I lost it), I'll post it here... maybe you will learn something as well.
    Also, be aware that the documentation of Unity is extensive but far from complete, and even the most experienced professional lacks some terminology here and there, coders don't know all about graphics, graphics easily don't know much about physics, etc., and the Unity manual is very, very brief (to put it sweetly).

15. YBtheS

YBtheS

Well it seems you thought wrong. It's nearly impossible to tell what someone's intentions are when they say something over the internet. You misunderstood. It happens.

And so it seems you both misunderstood each other. Just forgive and forget :p

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Lucky it's just a lock this time.

Antypodish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.