Search Unity

Add timestamps as a default parameter on Funnels and Data Explorer

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by fidelsoto, Oct 15, 2018.

1. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Developers shouldn't have to add timestamp parameters to custom events. AFAIK Unity Analytics already adds 2 timestamps on every event automatically (one for the local device and one when the server received the event). Funnels and Data Explorer should let us use those timestamps as parameters by default.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Were you replying to another thread perhaps? We don't require developers add timestamps, and your points are correct.

3. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

The analytics platform is under maintenance atm so I can't show you with pictures but basically... when I go to the data explorer and filter by a custom event I can't select timestamps as parameters for filtering. I can only select the parameters that I manually send from Unity. So my thought was that I shouldn't have to manually send timestamps in order to be able to filter by them in the data explorer if they are already sent automatically with every event anyways.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You would just set the report start/end dates which would accomplish (nearly) the same thing, if I understand correctly. The Dashboard is meant to show aggregated data only. For the granularity that it sounds like you might need, we do offer Raw Data Export that allows you to download all the event data, including the timestamp.

5. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Ok, let's say I want to know how much time in average users are spending on the tutorial. Is raw data export the only way to look at something like this? Cuz I could easily send time on custom events and achieve the same thing easier and without raw data export.

6. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Ok I think I'm starting to see some flaw in my logic. Let's simplify the problem. I have a tutorial start event and a tutorial end event (two separate events). Can I get the average time spent on tutorials? Or should I merge them in a single event and record the start and end time?

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If you are only using Dashboard reporting, then you would need to merge them into a single event that records the end time minus start time and take the average in the Dashboard report. Otherwise you could have two separate events and use Raw Data Export (a Pro only feature) to download and process locally.

8. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

I understand, thank you very much!