Search Unity

Feature Request add the link in the cache server section inside unity

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by laurentlavigne, Apr 17, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

so I don't have to read a bunch of posts just to have access to my local cache settings
    i'm ok with you moving stuff to the web if there are links in unity

2. bradunity

bradunity

@laurentlavigne , thanks for the feedback! I would like to learn more about any specific examples you might provide for where you found difficulty in finding how "to have access to my local cache settings." I'm not sure I understand what settings you're trying to have a better workflow around. For example, are you talking about the values settable within the Unity Editor for the cache server or are you asking for more clarity for accessing the options available in the Accelerator or something else?

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Here is what I had to go through to find it: https://forum.unity.com/threads/where-has-the-cache-server-path-gone.868912/#post-5724394

Granted I can be lazy but multiply this by however many systems we have to unravel when we make a project and you'll see that if you can minimize the amount of questing for knowledge, you make life easier.
    To summarize: cache settings before accelerator = everything I need to tune the cache is in the cache tab, with accelerator nothing in the cache tab so gotta dig in posts and documentation
    opacity increase = ∞

4. bradunity

bradunity

I understand your suggestion, now. Yes, it would be a nice feature to add a link to the Accelerator's dashboard from within the Editor.

I apologize if I get this wrong, but I suspect you may be expecting the need to use the Accelerator to speed up your local work like the legacy v1 asset import pipeline and Cache Server. This is no longer the case and why we have removed the option to specify a local cache path (which used a built-in Cache Server that was installed with Unity). This is no longer necessary as I mention in this post. The only time an Accelerator is necessary is when you're working with other folks and want to optimized importing changes they've introduced.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Oh I see, a new tech replacing an old one with no caveats and everything better ... I'm not used to it ... that's really awesome!

I think you guys have a few more of these coming so, as you transition everyone over, one suggestion: "Asset Version 2 automatically accelerates intermediate files on your local machine, like Asset Version 1 + Cache server", in the inspector, to encourage users and take ownership or encourage awesomeness.

bradunity likes this.