Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Add sound effect to animation clips

Discussion in 'Animation' started by zsolt67, Aug 9, 2016.

1. zsolt67

zsolt67

Is there a simple way ,extension or anything whics makes this part of the animation making easy?
    I saw Cinema director which ok for cutscene but I would like to add sound effect for animation clips.

2. catherineproulx

catherineproulx

Unity Technologies

You could add a StateMachineBehaviour to the state of the animation to which you want to associate a sound.

Eg:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class PlaySound : StateMachineBehaviour
    4. {
    6.     override public void OnStateEnter(Animator animator, AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, int layerIndex)
    7.     {
    8.         animator.gameObject.GetComponent<AudioSource>().Play();
    9.     }
    11. }

3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

there is no way to add sound effect directly into an animation clip but you can add Animation Event that are trigger at a specific time define by you, when the callback get called you can start your sound effect.

By example on a walk animation clip you could add an animation event when one of the foot touch the ground and in the callback start your sound effect for foot step.

JetSmile likes this.
  4. zsolt67

zsolt67

Thank you. But i am looking for some editor extension or something like that. We have lot of animation and at the moment we screenrecord the animation add sound effect in video editor bec easy to sync the position, lenght etc. Then we save the sound track. Then we have an animation and same lenght sound file. I cannot find anything in asset store which makes this job easy. Cinema director is the only one but that is for cutscenes only

5. zsolt67

zsolt67

I am new in unity but I cant beleive the way to add sound to the animation only manualy event+code. If somebody running here and there on the screen what is the workflow exactly for all the 132 step's sound effect? add manualy each???

6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

7. sandboks

sandboks

AudioAnimation_ss.png
    Update to 2018 (maybe earlier?) - You can add audio source component attributes to the animation timeline. In my example, I set the audio source component Loop to false, and PlayOnAwake to true. Then set the `enable` state to false on the first frame (and in the idle state). On Frame 2, or whenever you want the sound to start, set `enable` to true. (that is along way around to say `Play()`)

You can also setup the component to loop and use the volume attribute to fade in or out on the animation timeline.

8. OKOYEDAVE

OKOYEDAVE

SANDBOKS REPLY IS GOOD

9. JamesWhiteeee

JamesWhiteeee

Will this stop the sound if the animation stops?

10. GuardHei

GuardHei

I don't think so. As long as the audio source is enabled and the game object is also active, it should just act like a normal audio player.

11. LilGames

LilGames

I like this as it's slightly easier than setting up an event, but ultimately this doesn't solve the original problem of not being able to hear sounds in sync with the animation while editing. (Anyone who has used Adobe Flash to animate things knows exactly what I'm talking about. Or Premiere, or any number of video-audio editing tools that have timelines and animation in them.)

Would TimeLine and Playables help here at all?

12. Loisal

Loisal

Thank you some much, it really helped to add a footsteps sound !
    (i'm like really really new to unity :) )

13. TheRedGuy90

TheRedGuy90

Can we change the audio source, fade out one and fade new in this way?

also, what about footfalls when animating player walking?

14. LilGames

LilGames

There are tutorials on this. Check the "Standard Assets" FPS sample project.

15. vive_creative

vive_creative

Syncing sounds via animation event is not intuitive. It could be a lot easier if we had an option to see sound waves in the animation editor itself & then sync like a pro. Unity could be listening hopefully?

16. quint_unity

quint_unity

Please implement this functionality!

17. Fomin

Fomin

this is what I really need

M_R_M and LilGames like this.
  18. jungledong

jungledong

disable AudioSource Component in Prefab Play on Awake set true.then set AudioSource enable in animation key frames

19. LilGames

LilGames

Do you add multiple audioSource components (for many SFX?)

20. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

This is exactly what I was thinking. I need to sync some laughing animation to the laughing audio clip and is hard to know at which frames I should open the mouth to match the audio clip. LipSyncing solutions wont help me much with laughing animations. If only I could see the Audio Wave in pair with the animation frames would be super helpful.