Search Unity

Feature Request Add search box to the inspector

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by poon2, Jan 18, 2024.

1. poon2

poon2

We should have a search box so we can find a property in the inspector window faster.

For example, if I select the typical default camera that unity spawns and search for the word "Culling", Transform and AudioListener components should disappear since they don't have any properties that have "Culling" in their label. With only the Camera component remaining, all the properties on Camera component that don't have culling in their name should also disappear. Leaving you with "Culling Mask" and "Occlusion Culling" properties being drawn under Camera component.

2. spiney199

spiney199

This should potentially be possible with UI Toolkit inspectors, though ranging from very difficult to impossible with IMGUI inspectors, I think.

Generally inspectors have to be written with this in mind. Though with the visual tree of UI Toolkit, it is probably possible to hide/show certain elements. I can see lots of edge cases emerging, though.

Definitely a good idea though. Though only really useful if more built in inspectors move from IMGUI to UI Toolkit.

Though a pop-up box with the results that can navigate you to them is an option that would work across both back-ends.