Search Unity

Question Add/Remove items from Listview content (editor)

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by gregoired, Jun 1, 2022.

1. gregoired

gregoired

Hey !

I was wondering about the best solution to make a custom array/list field with a custom object selector.

For now i made a custom UIElement extending ListView. I then added a add button, displaying my custom selector. From my Add button, I have an object reference that I need to add to my array. Now I need to update my serializedproperty array with this new value, and propagate the change to my UIElement. How can I access the bound serialized array from inside my custom UIElement in order to modify it ?

2. gregoired

gregoired

Maybe I should explain my problem better !

I want to do a reusable UIElement which I can drag n drop using UI builder.

It's basically a ListView with few more buttons so I decided to inherit from ListView because why not :

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class CustomListField : ListView
    2. {
    3.     public new class UxmlFactory : UxmlFactory<CustomListField , UxmlTraits> { }
    4.     public CustomListField () : base(){
    6.         ...
    7.         var btn_add = new Button();
    8.         btn_add.Add(new Label("Add ..."));
    10.         btn_add.RegisterCallback<ClickEvent>(OpenPopup);
    12.         hierarchy.Add(btn_add);
    13.     }
    15.     void OpenPopup(ClickEvent evt)
    16.     {
    17.         var e = (VisualElement)evt.currentTarget;
    18.         // This popup show a list of elements and returns the selected element using a callback
    19.         CustomDropdown.Open<CustomData>((VisualElement)evt.currentTarget, (data) => {
    21.             // Dont know how I'm supposed to update the array collection from here.
    22.             // I would like to be able to add/remove items
    23.         }, false,null);
    24.     }
    25. }
    I then use the bindingPath property in Uxml to bind it with my CustomData list

Here's the result visually
    (a custom dropdown open when clicking add button)

It works but I have no clue on how I'm supposed to modify the serialized array collection size from inside my class if I want to insert a new element. I'm really stuck in this one !

3. gregoired

gregoired

Still stuck infortunately ! Should I make a propertydrawer for my list instead ?

4. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

With the Serialized Object bindings features you can automatically associate a ListView to an array property.
    This example will walk you through it - the key part is the binding-path property in UXML (or bindingPath in C#):

For actually adding to the List, you'll need to access the SerializedObject yourself. This example, specifically the
    TexturePackEditor.OnClick method shows an example of this.

In general, I would advise keeping the logic in your custom editor or custom window and avoid using custom Visual Elements for such a use case. You can just make a composition of a ListView and a Button in a UXML file for example.

pokelocos and gregoired like this.