Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Add Properties to a GameObject

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ThySpektre, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Well, very good summary of the first (maybe two) pages of this thread. :D

Munchy2007, Suddoha and lordofduct like this.
  2. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

And while I suppose I'm flattered by your interest, you're just not my type.

You've been asked repeatedly not to continue to post in a thread without helpful comments. (Helpful to me, not to you). You've made several ad hominem comments, if not outright insults, and I haven't appreciated your continued participation and wish to and end of future participation by you in this thread.

Yet you continue.

On the one hand, I'm Led Zeppelin...something you are ambivalent about. On the other hand, I'm "very intriguing".

You claim you don't think you have a one-tool-fits all mentality, and on the other hand you state one tool does fit all "It's just a different way of doing it."

I'd make a supposition that you aren't intrigued by "my absolutism" at all. You've been verbally abusive in multiple threads. I'd proffer this is a hobby of yours. One you had been called out on in a previous thread.

I prefer Websters'

2a: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content… trolls engage in the most outrageous and offensive behaviors possible—all the better to troll you with.— Whitney Phillips
    b: to act as a troll (see TROLL entry 3 sense 2) on (a forum, site, etc.)… is also notorious, for trolling message boards on the Internet, posting offensive material he himself has written and then suing anyone who responds in agreement.— Mark Hemingway
    c: to harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts
    [/quote]

So. To be clear so there is no misunderstanding. Your continued posting in this thread DOES antagonize. It continues to bury my request for help among irrelevant and offensive comments. You have mocked and disparaged my attempts at getting answers to my question.

I'd ask again that you stop posting in a thread you have stated multiple time you have nothing more to offer. I obviously have no way of enforcing this, but make no mistake that further posts are indeed trolling.

And I'd hope you do not want to be a dick.

3. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

I don't hold your experience against you, nor your lack thereof. I was once a 10-15 year coder.

A consistent statement of requirements has been given repeatedly. You see false premises where there are none.

4. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

And yet...here you are....still.

5. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

No one knows what it is I asked, yet you're emphatic that you've answered it.

No... no trolling here.

6. lordofduct

lordofduct

blah blah blah, you don't understand my personality/likes/dislikes, that's fine, I don't expect you to.

No... I don't have a one-tool-fits all mentality. I believe the right tool for the right job.

And when I'm working in Unity... where composition is the right tool since that's how unity is designed... I use composition.

Mind you... Unity isn't the only thing I use.

I write over 20 languages, across a multitude of operating systems that many people haven't heard of. In multiple paradigms. I attack problems from lots of different directions.

It's just... I'm in Unity land right now. And in Unity land, I've accepted that we write C#, and that we use components. Cause that's how it was designed!

Lol... you don't what my hobby is.

I'm abrasive, that is a definite. I grew up queer on a farm, in a family of loud racist Germans, and I was the runt. You learn to be abrasive to fend for yourself.

But I'm helpful.

Ask anyone here... that's my prime objective on this forum. I spend a lot of time helping people.

Why? Because my dream growing up was to be a teacher... but alas, that didn't work out for me. I grew up on the wrong side of the railroad tracks and a path to college was not in my cards.

lol... automaton... irony...

I'm trying to remember if I said I have nothing more to offer... I think Lurking-Ninja said that.

Then again... I may have. I don't know.

I should show you what I have tattooed behind my ear... it's big, purple, and flaming.

But hey, back at you bro... I hope you don't want to be a dick either.

7. lordofduct

lordofduct

No, I'm emphatic that we answered the question about if you can inherit from GameObject.

The answer is: No, you can't.

Your other question... about whatever it is you're trying to design (which I don't really fully know what it is due to your lack of a consistent and non-vague description of it), that hasn't been answered.

Again your absolutes. These are 2 different questions.

8. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

It's not a matter of familiarity, but one of contradiction. I'm boring yet intriguing.

...and the right tool here is inheritance.

So, in Unity, you have accepted the kludge.

So you have accepted the kludge to work around a design limitation in Unity. Sounds like we're on the same page.

But you are not helpful here.

But I have. I've asked myself (Being a member of the set of "anyone here") and I confirmed you are not being helpful here.

That is a shame. Tenacity can be a great trait when channeled productively. And it is seldom too late.

Of course not, which is why I'd prefer to give other posters a crack at helping me out.

Thanks for everything you've done here.

See you in another thread.

9. Suddoha

Suddoha

:rolleyes:

Consistent as in
    "I need a kludge..."
    "Here it is"
    "That's a kludge, read my requirement, i'm not looking for kludges"...

Illogical reasoning causing infinite loops yet again... buggy automaton. Fix your lack of whatever causes this. You may need an update.

Mimimi insult mimimi. You're sitting in the same boat. ;)

10. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

I'm looking for a BETTER kludge. The proper tool is inheritance.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

And you're only at this level?

Suddoha likes this.
  12. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

13. Suddoha

Suddoha

Inheritance of what? GameObject? Have I already mentioned the false premise?

The kludge provided used inheritance on a different type, as you CANNOT inherit GameObject.

*facepalm*

14. lordofduct

lordofduct

Awww, don't be so hard on yourself. I didn't say you were boring.

I didn't say Led Zeppelin is boring either.

I jam the F out to some 'Kashmir' when 'Let the Led Out' tunes in. I just don't actively hunt it down.

Sure it is.

Composition is not a kludge dude. It just isn't. It's a well defined practice in OOP.

No... I accept that Unity chose composition over inheritance.

Only help those who want to be helped and put in effort.

If you look through my post history outside of this thread. You'll notice I repeatedly request people to put in effort when asking questions.

As I say to them "why should I put in more effort answering your question, than you put into asking it".

Or my other found in my signature: "If you expect to program, make sure you know how to concisely describe your problem. If you can't describe it here on the forums, how do you expect to describe it to your computer?"

I have a standard to which I offer my assistance. As I believe in teach a man to fish, not give a man a fish.

Touche. I'll give you that one.

Not everyone... but a lot of them.

Spoken like a person who knows very little of the world outside their own.

Son... and yes I'm going to treat you as younger than I. I'm going to the... oh I don't know... 35th funeral of a friend on Tuesday. By the age of 21 years old I already lost 15+ friends and half my family, and several more off in prison. There's certain sides of the railroad track where college, yeah... college ain't a thing ever in your life. I'm lucky to have climbed as high as I have.

I'll see you around as well
    :winky:

15. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

And if this is your best effort, I thank you for your contributions.

See you in another thread.

16. Suddoha

Suddoha

Yup. Bye.

17. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

I have a word of advice. Feel free to ignore it.

Not everyone who is asking for a fish, is asking for a fish from you. While it is more than acceptable to have a standard for providing your help, it is less than acceptable to make a request (and then mock) someone who refuses your fish, or finds it unsatisfactory.

Sorry for your loss.

18. lordofduct

lordofduct

Didn't offer you a fish.

I offered for you to learn to fish, by using composition.

You don't have to take that though... heck, you haven't.

This part of our conversation has nothing to do with that anymore. It's merely banter now. You engage, I respond.

Anyways, tootles, I'm off to get drunk.

19. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

So I asked for a fish and you offered to teach me how to fish and refused to accept that learning how to fish was not what I desired. Same issue. If you don't want to give the fish, you don't want to give the fish. You personally are not being asked then.

20. BTW, you're welcome for the free support you got here, dude.

Kurt-Dekker, lordofduct and Ryiah like this.
  21. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Tis the nature of the forum. Hopefully you might give some next thread.