Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Add option to have .csproj files share the location of .asmdef

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by skner, Aug 22, 2023.

1. skner

skner

Assembly definitions are a must have in large Unity projects, especially if you care about good coding practices and code architecture. Since I've started using them, I've always been bothered by the nesting of folders in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer for every single assembly:

upload_2023-8-22_23-21-49.png

Every single assembly (project) has this root folder structure of "Assets -> Scripts -> assembly name", which matches the folder structure in the Unity project. This has to do with the location of the csproj, which is always placed in the root of the project.

As far as I'm aware, this cannot be changed - which is a shame.

The only other post I've found that mentions this is: https://forum.unity.com/threads/all...roj-files-in-a-subfolder.934131/#post-9078328

Is there a way to remove this unnecessary nesting of folders? If not, could this be something that can be implemented as an option at some point?

krs-two likes this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Ugh. Yet another reason to ditch Visual Studio‘s lackluster integration with Unity. Give Rider a try, it‘s not free but well worth the money especially when it comes to significantly improved Unity dev workflows thanks to countless small details like this. In Rider, you can even switch views between assets, scripts, and solution.

3. krs-two

krs-two