Search Unity

Feedback Add more information (cause and how it was resolved) to the issuetracker once an issue is fixed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Xarbrough, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I report issues regularly and in almost all cases I get very quick responses and fixes are being released within a reasonable time frame. Overall, I'm very happy with how Unity handles bugs.

However, there is one improvement that could be made: Please add developer information to the issuetracker and the release notes of new Unity versions that summarize what was found to cause the issue and how it was fixed.

The provided information does not need to go into depth and surely not every bug fix needs an explanation. However, I've had the case multiple times that some of the reported bugs were fixed in future versions, but I'm currently not able to upgrade the project because of a version lock to other tools such as a console platforms SDK. This means I'm now stuck with my issue and it would help immensely to know what was causing the problem and how it was fixed because it can help me find a workaround or implement something to work around the issue.

This is especially important for issues, which users have encountered, but cannot track down themselves. Some issue are very elusive in this manner.

I would hope for a short summary like this (fictional examples):
    • Fixed issue 123456: MeshCompression enum was incorrectly set on imported models that contained spaces in their filename. Now it is fixed.
    • Fixed issue x: Sometimes the scene hierarchy would not refresh correctly. The issue was caused by side-effects of the Hierarchy window when the Timeline window was open at the same time. The Timeline window has been updated to not interfere with the hierarchy any longer.
    Other software companies also provide good examples. E.g., I very much enjoy the PlasticSCM release notes and bug fix notifications.

Lurking-Ninja and Joe-Censored like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you don't mind me hijacking, I'd make the following additional suggestions:

* If an issue is closed as a duplicate, include a link to the issue it was a duplicate of.

* When an issue is resolved, include which Unity versions the fix was backported to, not just the mainline version which won't release for another half a year typically

* For private issues (issues which are not made public due to proprietary customer specific details, etc), please create a sanitized public version of the issue which the rest of us can use to track the progress

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored likes this.