Search Unity

"Add Modules" missing for 2018.4.2f1 install

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by anthonyblackman, Jun 27, 2019.

1. anthonyblackman

anthonyblackman

I need to add the UWP modules to my 2018.4.2f1 install but the "Add Modules" button is missing. My 2017.1.5f1 and 2019.3.0a7 installs both have the "Add Modules" button, the issue is specific to 2018.4.2f1.

Here's what I see when I click the "..." button on 2018.4.2f1:

unity missing add modules.PNG

I've tried rebooting my PC in case Unity was still running, no change.

How do I add the UWP module to my install?

Thanks.

hopetolive and RexCodeOfficial like this.
  2. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello !
    You can only add modules to the editors that are installed through the hub. Your 2018.4 editor is installed outside the hub (the proof that you see "remove from the hub" but for the others you see the "uninstall" option). You can remove that editor from the hub then install it through the "ADD" button.

3. anthonyblackman

anthonyblackman

Weird, I definitely installed it from the Hub. Maybe something went wrong during installation. It also crashed a few times so that could definitely be it.

I'm re-installing now. Will update with results. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Re-installing worked. Thanks again.

4. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

You are welcome,
    A wrongly installed editor will act sometimes like a located editor.

5. THE2FUN

THE2FUN

Guys i found the solution. I don't like the Unity Hub because i can't see all the versions in Hub. And i was thinking Unity Download Archive is better than Hub because i can see all the versions. Anyway if you download your Unity version without Unity Hub, you can't see the Add Modules button. Some internet solutions are wrong they saying reupload Unity version from hub. You don't need this. It's simple don't worry and do not reupload Unity.

- Remove Unity version from hub (Click triple dots)
    - And go to the unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    - Then find your version.
    - Click Unity Hub button and you can see now Modules Panel.

And be careful about adding Sdk Build Support, because sometimes not checked Sdk Jdk Manager.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2023
  6. bmccowan

bmccowan

I wasn't able to use ineffablegame's workaround since Unity 2019.3 isn't in the download archive yet. But I was able to get it to work by doing the following:

1. make sure the Unity version you'd like to add modules to has its folder in the Unity Hub editor folder (mine is under C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor)
    2. in Unity Hub, go to settings (gear icon in top right)
    3. make sure the Unity Editors Folder path is pointing to the location of the Unity Hub editor folder
    4. remove the Unity install from the hub
    5. click ADD, select the version, click Next, and then Done. Once it starts installing, click on the three dots then Cancel.
    (Note: if the version is not available, Locate the installation instead. that also worked for me).
    6. restart Unity Hub, and you should be able to add modules now.

7. zakirshikhli

zakirshikhli

My Hub version is 2.2.2 and Add Modules window is empty for any stable release that installed via Hub.

Attached Files:

Bbumba, Mohamed_Rabea and KarlManning like this.
  8. schashm3

schashm3

if you want add a specific version of unity that hasn't in unity hub then i found a weird solution.

go to the unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive then find your version.
    click unity hub button. it'll open unity hub.
    click add button.
    and start clicking fast on add module to your install. as fast as you can.
    it'll skip installation part.
    Remember: it woks when you open unity hub after you click on unity hub inside the browser.

Attached Files:

Bbumba likes this.
  9. ahmetilhan282

ahmetilhan282

add modules option not showing for manual installed editors. but a workaround:
    1- go to C:\Users\{USER_NAME}\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub path
    2- open editors.json file.
    3- find your manual installed editor line
    4- change "manual":true to "manual":false

10. muhemir81

muhemir81

This solution worked. Thanks Ahmet(Türk zekası işte hiç bir yerde yazmıyor şu çözüm sağol)

11. Saad-Arman

Saad-Arman

This solution really works thanks.

12. vishalraj1380

vishalraj1380

No S*** !!

downloading unity from unity hub is F***ing horrible even if internet connection goes down for a sec then download stops and all the data are lost , a lot of wastage of data.

13. pmaman

pmaman

This worked for my 2019.3.15f1 release but not 2019.4.1f1 release. The hub still won't download anything. Keeps throwing me an error saying download failed or server unresponsive. Any further suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

14. SunnySommanek

SunnySommanek

Can you tell me how to do in mac os

Astabeth likes this.
  15. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello @SunnySommanek
    The file to be modified, editors.json, is located in ~/Library/Application\ Support/UnityHub/ on macOS. The rest of the instructions are the same.

16. krisventure

krisventure

Okay Now can you tell me how to modify the modules.json in the newly downloaded Unity editor's folder so that I can have Unity Hub recognize the iOS, Android and Documentation modules that I've moved there from the folder of my previous Unity installation? My goal is to establish a quick update practice, I've already had perfectly functional modules installed for Unity 2019.4.0f3 so why can't we just simply re-use those modules after the update to 2019.4.1f1, it's a lot of wasted time having to re-download all the modules, the exact same ones you already have on your computer, every time you update your Unity. I'd just like to move them to the new folder and than have a way to get the Hub recognize them.

17. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately this is not a supported/recommended practice. I understand this is inconvenient for you, especially if you have a. slow, unstable or metered connection. Yeah, it sucks. Your only option is to re-download those modules for the new installation of Unity.

18. eovento

eovento

Why all this hassle, guys? Is there any particular reason for the Hub not to have all versions? And I'm not talking about installing Unity 4 on my machine, but something from one or two months ago.
    My desktop has 2019.3.15 installed. Had to go on a trip and decided to carry a copy of the project on my notebook. Even though it's still a pretty recent version it was not one of the very few options Hub presented me today, so I had to download it from Archive (as suggested inside the Hub, by the way), just to find out there is no way to add modules, SDK, NDK, JDK, not anything. Seriously... why to make our life difficult for no reason at all? Or, if there is any, please mods... explain us.

ASymShade and aymusbond like this.
  19. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello @eovento
    To answer your first question, there are several reason we don't want to list all available Unity versions in the Hub. Given how many versions of Unity there are, we don't want to confuse our users. This may sound patronising, but many folks using Unity do not know the distinction between 2018.4, 2019.2 or 2020.1 (and neither should they). By listing only the recommended versions of Unity, we're hoping to avoid choice anxiety and help guide customers away from unsupported or especially buggy releases.

Second, did you download an Archive Unity build via the Hub or through your browser? If you click the 'Unity Hub' button next to a version (first button on the left), the Hub will fetch that specific revision and let you manage modules as with any other Editor.

20. moheydy_unity

moheydy_unity

@muhemir81 thanks this is work you need just restart pc

21. TM_Games

TM_Games

What is the correct way of doing this for LTS versions? I understand that you don't want to confuse users, but LTS versions are (in theory) designed for games that require long term support and stability. How can I properly configure that to work through the Unity Hub?

22. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

The latest LTS will always be offered for download inside Unity Hub. Otherwise, all LTS releases are listed on the Download Archive and under LTS Releases.

23. m0guz

m0guz

Thank you, Unity Hub alone wasted my 2 days. Downloading inside Hub always ended with "Incomplete or corrupted download files". Installed by downloading editor only then building with Il2CPP failed because not compatible NDK etc.

KumarTony likes this.
  24. unity_007fkj

unity_007fkj

even after modifiying the file i am not getting module information. the button is showing

25. unity_NoOXYd-agQxfbQ

unity_NoOXYd-agQxfbQ

You are god. literal god. i am crying. I didnt have enough internet at home to download the whole update from hub, so i got it from archives, but then i thought it didnt add modules, and then i couldnt find how to. I wasted 5 hours in finding the solutions, but then found your reply. I am crying. At last, i can finally submit my assignment which requred webgl module. Why the hell is Unity Hub so F***ing garbage - no download progress in numbers, no download size estimate, no pause feature, literally deletes entire download if internet disconnects for 0.1 milliseconds. Such a peice of garbage. And why the hell it doesnt support external installs. such a peice of garbage.

Garen_, KumarTony, Wilbis and 2 others like this.
  26. unity_NoOXYd-agQxfbQ

unity_NoOXYd-agQxfbQ

restart the unity editor. close all its instances using task manager and then edit the editors.json file as mentioned previously. and then open the unity hub again. now you will be able to add modules.

27. kamaldeep26594

kamaldeep26594

28. techlk

techlk

wooohaaa. its worked
    .. thank you

29. andyz

andyz

Yes this - it's bad! So what if installed through hub or not.
    Allow modules

30. bilomania

bilomania

I did all this with .json file for 2019.3.6 and this is what i get.. upload_2020-10-14_17-29-28.png

Mohamed_Rabea and KarlManning like this.
  31. bilomania

bilomania

Any ideas? thank you

roz_s likes this.
  32. soyfeo123

soyfeo123

using UnityEngine;

public class idk : MonoIdk {
    Debug.Log("i dont care");
    }

33. soyfeo123

soyfeo123

Gosh, calm down! It's just how unity wants it to be! You need unity hub for managing your projects! Your unity installions! Everything! Just, need to calm down to be sticked into the unity hub thing!

34. Trodith

Trodith

did u find any solution ?

35. Cl4ptr4p1

Cl4ptr4p1

hi can someone help me with this ....

I'm trying to add models to the version I have installed and that option "add modules" does not appear. What I can do?... I have installed version 2019.4.2f1 Screenshot_52.png

36. Keita-kun

Keita-kun

Hi ppl,
    I stumbled myself upon this error, simple explanation Unityhub is very unstable ie:connection drop/ system overload with some other program Unity mostly running some stuff or browser FF specially :p result unityHUB download, install or editor version will fail resulting in all of the error you just mentioned all of you guys3.
    Solution:
    1. corrupted download = re-download
    2. manually added installs up to 2019.3 (confirmed does not work with 20199.4.13f1) I think can use ahmetilhan282 trick.
    3. android SDK/NDK and so on you can check releases.Json same folder as Editors.Json (search for your version of unity ie:2018.4.28) you find link to each needed file and where it should go be aware that unity installer/unityHub renames some folders or change the path so pay attention to rename To / rename From instructions when reading the file.
    If install is corrupted unityHub will treat your unity install a located install there is no way you can have add modules enabled so either manual install all missing components or re-download if you have reliable Internet.

37. Keita-kun

Keita-kun

The reason is very simple, each editor version is meant to work with a specific android sdk/ndk release build tools. As per Java JDK, you can install it manually on your system and maintain it updated. inUnity under edit/pref/extrenal or Unity/pref/external point to JDK location the rest is very specific to each unity Editor version.

38. XRA

XRA

one way to get the exact android tools for your editor version is to goto the unity archive, copy the link for the editor install you need it for, for example, using 2017.4.23f1
    Code (CSharp):
    1. https://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/f80c8a98b1b5/Windows64EditorInstaller/UnitySetup64-2017.4.23f1.exe
    then change the link using this template:

Code (CSharp):
    1. https://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/HASH_HERE/TargetSupportInstaller/UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-VERSION_HERE.exe
    so for example, the android support for 2017.4.23f1

Code (CSharp):
    1. https://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/f80c8a98b1b5/TargetSupportInstaller/UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-2017.4.23f1.exe
    Unity if you're reading this, look at Substance (Allegorithmic's) Launcher, it works great and keeps me inspired with lots of useful information. They also provide every past version of their tools in the dropdown, release notes, etc.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  39. Thincc

Thincc

This Actually Worked....Thanks :)

40. nomax5

nomax5

I've just found what I think it the best most stable solution
    Like many noobs I'm having a fiddle with VRChat and require Unity version Unity 2018.4.20 which is not an install option on my unity Hub

Solution: Visit the Unity Archive and find the version you want https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    use the Green Unity Hub button on the Left.

Windows might pop up asking where to find Unity Hub.exe
    To find out where your Unity Hub.exe is located right click it on your desktop and choose Open file location
    Browse to the location in the popup window and select Unity Hub.exe
    Now it should install the version in your Unity Hub

41. ShayneK

ShayneK

If the other answers don't work for you or anyone else reading this, then try these steps (worked for me):
    1. Verify that you don't have the modules.json file in the desired version folder (Eg: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.3.15f1\modules.json).
    2. Copy the modules.json file from one of your working versions and replace the version numbers within the file with the new version number (Eg: Replace any 2019.3.6 (copied version) with 2019.3.15 (desired version)).
    3. Restart Unity Hub. For good measure I killed all Unity Hub processes too.
    You should now be able to install a new module.

Please note that I did not do any testing around if the currently installed modules from the copied version, in my example above it would be 2019.3.6, would carry over correctly to the desired version or if it caused any issues. For me it so happened that I had the same modules already installed for both versions.

42. pratapsinghrana1999

pratapsinghrana1999

I also faced the same problem in Unity 2020.2.1f1.

The problem is just of path.

The .exe file of module that you downloaded has a path in it which it isn't able to find.

The default path that it will accept is :

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.1f1\Editor

In the case if you have downloaded the unity editor without installer then your unity editor will be saved as:

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.1f1

So you need to move files from C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.1f1 to C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.1f1\Editor

and then execute your downloaded .exe module and give it path C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.1f1\Editor

This will install your module at right place.

Enjoy.....

m0guz likes this.
  43. Hakanss

Hakanss

I have this same problem. It doesn't show any modules to download. Does anyone know how to fix this?

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

On Unity hub setting, Choose [Unity Editors Folder] and save. In my case, I could not choose default folder like Unity - Hub - Editor. So I create "Editors" and choose it. Then Install Unity again from Unity hub.

Also, when choosing modules, uncheck visual studio.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2021
  45. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Only the editor downloaded with the Hub may use the feature. You may need to uninstall and reinstall with the hub.

46. maurofvieira

maurofvieira

I got frustrated with this and decided to try to re-download the versions on top of the ones I already had. Since the menu was showing "Uninstall" instead of "Remove from Hub", I decided to just delete the file, instead of editing it back to '"manual":true'. When I opened the Hub to go and install them again, the versions were back to normal.

47. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

problem fixed here :

48. CrunchyIce

CrunchyIce

Actually I installed Unity 2020.3.6f1 LTS release from Unity Hub and I cannot see any details regarding it in my editors.json file and I am not able to "Add Modules" to my installation since the option is missing as a matter of fact and it even fails to create projects as of now.

Is there any fix for this?

49. ed321ali123

ed321ali123

but now there is no modules to bo added the unity hub is saying this

50. airfutureguy1

airfutureguy1

Solution for MacOS: In my case, i had my editor (downloaded externally) alongside the hub folder (Applications/Unity/Hub). If this is the case, drag the editor and the bug reporter into a new folder renamed to the editor version (/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/<your editor version>/Unity.app).
    Download the desired module and place in the same folder.
    The 'Add modules' option won't be there in Unity Hub but in the editor it should be visible when u click on build settings