Search Unity

Feedback Add Blender's "Preserve Volume" (Dual Quaternion) feature into Unity.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by GameDeveloperAf, Nov 5, 2020.

1. GameDeveloperAf

GameDeveloperAf

There is no Dual Quaternion into Unity. And all our model's deformation looks bad when animating as you can see in the picture the difference. The mesh is shrinking when moving the bones. Please add Blender's "Preserve Volume" (Dual Quaternion) feature into Unity.

arkenstn, ObiOneStenobi and NotaNaN like this.
  2. Bezoro

Bezoro

I don't know of a single game engine that supports that, it's probably for performance reasons I'd guess.
    You usually fix those issues with better skinning + corrective blendshapes, and/or more bones in those tricky spots. Depends on the case.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  3. GameDeveloperAf

GameDeveloperAf

CryEngine and Lumberyard support the Dual Quaternion. I want that Unity support this too. They just can add this feature and it depends on developers which they wish to use. They need to be a selection on the editor. And developer will chose the linear or dual quaternion. It is up to developers to choose but they need to add this.

ObiOneStenobi and NotaNaN like this.
  4. Bezoro

Bezoro

Cool, didn't know Cryengine supported that, been a while since I used it.
    It would indeed be nice if they added it but it's not some super necessary, urgent feature.
    I mean, everyone has been doing just fine with linear blending for decades, there are many ways to solve bad deformations that are more performant than dual quaternion blending. Although a bit more time consuming to do.
    Look at the Heretic short from Unity for example, no dual quaternion blending there, still looks amazing. Look at something like FFVII (made in UE4), again no dual quaternion blending, looks amazing.
    But anyways, I wouldn't hold my breath. From what I can tell Unity is already quite swamped with work and adding a feature that already has quite a lot of ways around it probably would not be high on the priority list, if at all.
    But it would be nice to have it eventually, at least for HDRP.
    Anyways, I'm rambling, sorry.

NotaNaN likes this.
  5. GameDeveloperAf

GameDeveloperAf

I asked this request to unity support they send this message to me

"Hi there,

Thank you for your kind patience on this ticket.

I've talked with our engine support team but they mentioned that it seems to be a feature request but there isn't much they can do currently. Unfortunately, this feature request is not a priority at this moment, it might take a long time to reflect this request on our Unity engine feature.

I am sorry that we can't be more help on this, and I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Unity AJ_KR
    Customer Service Engineer"

I think that they will add this feature, bot not now. It will take a long time add this feature into Unity

6. GerrevanderMeer

GerrevanderMeer

Any updates regarding volume preservation in Unity? We're almost 2024 now.

7. Blacksstrob

Blacksstrob

I'm afraid that it's not gonna happen
    because it's not in unity's benefit to do so
    and because it's not a necessity in terms of character design

when it comes to preserving volumes, it is always advised to learn topology and skinning techniques, not use heavy features like Double Quaternions