Search Unity

Add basic clouds to default-skybox procedural material?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sr3d, Oct 26, 2015.

1. sr3d

sr3d

Default-Skybox, looks great, I like the position of the sun based upon directional light. cl.jpg

But how do we add some basic clouds? I don't want to lose that sun position, but I'd like to get some clouds in there with a basic particle system, maybe some kind of transparent skybox or i'm not sure, anything would be fine.

2. jhocking

jhocking

I think you could do this with a skydome (google "unity skydome") but I'm not sure what the best answer would be, I'm curious what others suggest.

3. sr3d

sr3d

Unity is cruel. They give you the sun, but no clouds....

theride19 likes this.
  4. mgear

mgear

Ryiah likes this.
  5. sr3d

sr3d

GOD DAMN IT. I wake up the next day and no one has helped with this problem.

I had to program a god damn RTS camera from scratch and now I have to reinvent the wheel for some SIMPLE CLOUDS WITH A SUN? COME ON.

I"m looking into this now, hopefully it doesn't take the whole day *facepalm*.

6. sr3d

sr3d

Does anyone know how to make a plane look at the camera's position? No matter what I try, the plane always points it's edge towards the camera.

7. mgear

mgear

This package is free, havent tested it myself though..
    [Free for the Community] Olander's Realistic Weather for Time of Day
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fr...ers-realistic-weather-for-time-of-day.310180/

Some options,
    - Could make the plane as child of the camera
    - Or use some billboard shader to make it face towards camera

Some free particle cloud systems here,
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/40744

KUFgoddess and sr3d like this.
  8. sr3d

sr3d

Thanks, hopefully those help someone else out.

I'm currently working on a solution that uses particlesystem, I"ll release it when I'm finished. It's very simple, clean, visually appealing but most important not intrusive, just a natural feel of clouds that you won't think about, subtle.

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I want to build a boat and I spent the entire day building my boat and no one helped build it for me. Come on!

I wanted to eat a pizza and I had to eat it myself, and no one ate it for me! Come on!

I wanted to sculpt a bust of Julius Caesar, but no one did it for me! Come on!

Now, I apologise for being a little bit trollish, but: what are you trying to do?

If you want to create an RTS game, then you need to create an RTS game. Games inherently are not trivial. This is partly why big studios are big studios with lots of people working in them. This doesn't stop indie developers from making games on their own. We just have to realise the scope of what we are getting into.

If you want to design an RTS game, but you don't want to code it from scratch, then you probably want to look into buying a license for someone else's framework off of the asset store, and then simply construct the game you have in mind with their tools.

This middle ground is to buy assets that can help, and tie them all together to make your own framework (eg: buy a camera package, a navigation package, an inventory package, etc.)

No one is here to write your game for you. You should be very happy that this community is helpful and forgiving when it comes to helping others.

10. sr3d

sr3d

Or I could just write a very simple yet high quality cloud solution and release it for free, so no one has to go through what I did. I'm almost done. The other solutions I've seen are over kill.

11. jhocking

jhocking

Seriously man? I thought you were done with these stupid tantrums after the camera nonsense. The RTS camera script you wrote is a helpful contribution to the community and so I helped you improve the script a little, but all the stupid tantrums you keep throwing make you look childish and alienate everyone who is capable of answering your questions. Totally not productive.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Additionally he should be very happy that the moderators are putting up with him. Most of his threads have been complaints aimed at Unity and the community and generally include crude language.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  13. Debhon

Debhon

Next time, if you need help with that pizza, feel free to let me know. :rolleyes::cool: