Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Add a System.Object field to UnityEngine.GameObject to allow tagging with arbitrary data

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by TFlippy, Mar 31, 2019.

1. TFlippy

TFlippy

Would be possible for the developers to add a System.Object field to UnityEngine.GameObject or UnityEngine.Object, so you could link them with arbitrary data?

Currently for example, I'm using a custom class for game entities (sort of an abstraction with extra code and MonoBehaviour-related things hidden underneath to make modding more controllable).

However, when I need to retrieve a physics-supported entity via custom OverlapPoint() implementation, I have to check do this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public NetEntity OverlapPoint(Vector2 inPosition, Mask inMask)
    2. {
    3.     Collider2D collider = this.physicsScene.OverlapPoint(inPosition, (int)inMask);
    4.     if (collider != null)
    5.     {
    6.         var script = collider.GetComponent<BaseEntityObject>()?.script;
    7.         if (script != null)
    8.         {
    9.             if (script is NetEntity netEntity) return netEntity;
    10.             else if (script is ENT_Grid.GridBoundingBox boundingBox) return boundingBox.grid;
    11.             else return null;
    12.         }
    13.         else return null;
    14.     }
    15.     else return null;
    16. }
    Which, however, isn't an exactly elegant solution. With being able to "tag" the GameObjects with a System.Object, I could just initialize the script and set the gameObject.Data to the script internally, which I could then access like this, skipping the unnecessary GetComponent<BaseEntityObject>() call.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public NetEntity OverlapPoint(Vector2 inPosition, Mask inMask)
    2. {
    3.     Collider2D collider = this.physicsScene.OverlapPoint(inPosition, (int)inMask);
    4.     if (collider != null)
    5.     {
    6.         var script = collider.gameObject.Data;
    8.         if (script is NetEntity netEntity) return netEntity;
    9.         else if (script is ENT_Grid.GridBoundingBox boundingBox) return boundingBox.grid;
    10.         else return null;
    11.     }
    12.     else return null;
    13. }

2. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

We will not be adding any additional fields to UnityEngine.GameObject nor UnityEngine.Object at this point in time.

I think you are taking the right approach with looking up the data with GetComponent.

Peter77 and karl_jones like this.