Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Adaptive Sci-Fi Music with Interactive Demo

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by shadowsoflight, Apr 2, 2023.

1. shadowsoflight

shadowsoflight

Project Title: Adaptive Sci-Fi Music with Interactive Demo
    Summary of the project/asset/tool: A series of adaptive music packs that will include custom scripts and FMOD projects, for maximum usability. Each pack will contain 3 "sets" of the following:
    • Adaptive track (1 minute) - the exact nature of the layering/morphing will depend on the pack.
      • Individual layers
      • Pre-curated combinations of layers
      • C# scripts
      • FMOD project
    • Menu music (with and without a brief intro)
    • Trailer music (2 minute and 1 minute version)
    Each of the 3 sets in a pack will have the same theme and sound design, so they can be used together effectively. The combo of Adaptive + Menu + Trailer is intended to help devs create a unified sound across a game, even with just a single set.

I also plan to work on some of my scripting & game development skills as I work through the packs, to hopefully create more interesting interactive demos over time.

Latest video:

Latest WebGL Demo: Adaptive Sci-Fi Music: Retrofuturistic Dystopia (Interactive Demo) - Unity Play

Roadmap:
    • Working PoC using the FPS Microgame, but with my own custom scripts for the music system (Done!)
    • Currently finalizing the first pack: "Retrofuturistic Dystopia" (Action feel)
      • Adaptive layers: Low Threat (+/-Melody), High Threat (+/-Melody), Battle.
    • Future packs I'm planning in this series - each will have a different logic to the layers that is hopefully reflective of the genre they go with:
      • "Wonders of Space" (Adventure feel)
      • "Trials and Terrors" (Horror feel)
      • "Grand Armies" (Strategy feel)
    • I am currently working through a series of tutorials on building a Space Shooter. I hope to get through the series and make it into the next iteration of the interactive demo. At some point, I would love to be able to showcase each of the packs in a game of an appropriate genre, so that I can learn about the development of those games.
    Feedback Request: There are a few things I'd love to hear about, for anyone willing to take the time:
    • Is it useful to include Scripts and/or FMOD projects with music packs?
    • Is the "set" idea helpful, or would it be better to ditch the menu & trailer in favour of more adaptive tracks?
    • Is the consistency in sound design helpful? (i.e. is it nice to have multiple options for the same game?)
    • Does this feel like enough content to catch someone's eye in the asset store?
    • Does the quality of the music & adaptive layering stand up reasonably well to other products you've seen? (Might as well rip the band-aid off if this doesn't stack up)
    I have lots of other music in my back-catalogue, I plan to convert some of that into free packs soon-ish. They will not be quite as in-depth as these packs. (See my Bandcamp page - everything is Creative Commons, and free to download already, just not cut down into usable loops)

Also, this is my first post - hi, everyone :D

Hikiko66 likes this.