Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Adaptive Probe Volumes (APVs) experimental release for HDRP in 2021.2

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Matjio, Feb 11, 2022.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

Bug most likely, 2021.2 is the most experimental for APV. Plus it's missing a lot of new features/improvements in 2021. You're better off with 2022.2, although still experimental it's more stable and usable.

Fully released/production ready in 2023.1 and after

2. methusalah999

methusalah999

Shame. 2022 didn't work for me sadly, I had bad regressions on the static shadows in all my scenes.

3. PutridEx

PutridEx

You mean static shadows as in cached or baked with APV? If the latter it could be due to the next "anti-leak" method APV uses, and although very cheap it's unfortunately not great and can sometimes cause artifacts/issues. You can try disabling it from the probe volume post process override. Set it to none. This will bring some light-leaking back though.

4. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

5. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

I have a question about the lighting scenarios.

We have a form of dynamic destruction in our game, is it possible to swap out light probes in a particular area in our world? With lighting scenarios we can switch *all* probes, but i am only interested in swapping probes around a particular object to another set.

*Edit: nevermind, it does seem like this is supported. https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...-definition@16.0/manual/probevolumes-use.html

> You can use multiple Lighting Scenarios to store baking results for different Scene setups, and switch between them at runtime. For example, you can use one Lighting Scenario for when a lamp is off, and one for when it's on.

Its unclear to me how to do this though, when i search in the scripting API nothing comes up for lighting scenario

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  6. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

it looks like you have some nans here. Most of the time this is coming from wrong normals on one of your mesh, but that could really be anything

You have some doc here to help find if that's the issue (maybe it's somehting else): https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c.../manual/Post-Processing-Propagating-NaNs.html

7. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Swapping probe data for one location only is not supported, all the probes will be replaced.
    Regarding the API, you have lightingScenario to set the active scenario, and BlendLightingScenario() or scenarioBlendingFactor to blend between two scenarios.
    Additinally, there are numberOfCellsBlendedPerFrame and turnoverRate to control how many and which cells are blended each frame in case everything doesn't fit into GPU memory (defined by the memory budget in the RP asset)

tmonestudio likes this.
  8. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Thanks for your reply, am i misunderstanding this line of the documentation: you can use one Lighting Scenario for when a lamp is off, and one for when it's on.

I interpet this as, when there is a small light on a wall you can swap scenarios around that spotlight.

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

10. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Also quite interested about this, maybe a tiny hint: Is it going to be with completion of time of day and night sky for HDRP?

11. camerondus

camerondus

Hey guys,
    Im trying out APV in 2023.1 in URP. the workflow is great, but im having some pretty bad quality issues. first of all, in the screenshots provided, you can see that on the roof of the room, the probe lighting is very noisy. secondly, the lighting of the wall behind the emmisive spheres is super blocky, as if its not interpolating the lighting of the probes properly. thirdly, you will notice the terrible noise the system introduces on the corners of the walls. are these issues with the beta release, or is this the quality we can expect without using lightmaps with APV?
    Screenshot_6.png Screenshot_7.png Screenshot_8.png Screenshot_9.png

EDIT: I was able to greatly increase the quality by increasing the probe sample multiplier to an unrealistic number (128 instead of the default 4). APV really needs a denoiser for the probes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  12. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Can i ask a semi unrelated question?

I'm really interested in this GPU streaming, and id like to do this myself as well. Luckily HDRP is mostly on github, but the part of actually loading itself is not there. Is there any reason for this?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  13. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I'm also interested on this to be honest, can this feature to be considered in the future? ie replace/mixed an APV volume in a small area?

FriendNFoe likes this.
  14. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

indeed documentation is not extremely clear, but you cannot replace only some of the probe data

15. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

these features are not related, they are all here to help build open world games in hdrp but the developments are independant

16. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

this function is to be able to stream data from disk to GPU directly, and it's still in development so this this function is not actually used currently :D.
    The feature is in review internally curently so it should be available soon.

Also 100% of APV is on github, only the lightmapper is non public

TJHeuvel-net likes this.
  17. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

That's seems like an interesting feature, we'll consider it :)

bdb400, TJHeuvel-net and Reanimate_L like this.
  18. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Hey, we have recorded at GDC a small presentation of one of our tech art showcasing how to use APV :)
    It explains the core concepts of the system, as well as all the available features.
    There's also a section on how to use the anti leaking solutions and how to use the debugger.

19. impheris

impheris

Thaaanks! i hope i can learn how to properly use APV with this video

20. hulij7796

hulij7796

upload_2023-4-20_22-6-39.png
    In Unity version 2023.1.0, I set up a small scene to try out Probe Volume. The scene only contains one Baked point light source. After baking, there are many noise points (as shown in the picture). I want to know how to eliminate these small defects.

21. SomethingElse12

SomethingElse12

I'm having an issue where editor just quits after a long bake (editor crash log doesn't show anything). My setup consists of 50 huge scenes and alot of geometry, lights, baking them all together. This didn't happen before, but also the scenes became much larger so could be version independant. Also it first started while baking a second scenario, now also happens in a single scenario setup. I have 64gigs of ram, not sure if need more or it doesn't matter. Currently on 2023.1 beta.

22. fendercodes

fendercodes

Does anyone know if APV can be used in scenes without things marked as Static? We have large open scenes with terrain and a few buildings that require probes inside. However, because of the world size we use floating point origin shifting to move the world around at runtime.

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Technically you can, but i don't think it currently support floating point origin shifting

24. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

This is due to the sampling noise, you can either enable TAA on your camera (and in the scene view), or simply disable the the sampling noise in a volume override (you need to enable the additional properties to see this option) upload_2023-4-24_11-41-56.png

25. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

This looks like a crash from the lightmapper, does it happen with GPU and CPU lightmapper ?

26. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

if objects are not static, they can receive GI from APV, but they will not contribute during baking

27. SomethingElse12

SomethingElse12

on cpu, 99.99% of objects are marked to use APV, might have left a few unmarked. but thanks for the tip, will make sure everything is marked as APV.

28. Spikebor

Spikebor

Does anyone test APV in build?
    I got an issue that the mixed point lights which used to bake APV GI will be disabled in build.
    It run perfectly in Editor though.

I have to use an ugly workaround:
    For the set of lights that is used to bake GI: after baking, hide them.
    Duplicate them to make a new set of lights just for build. Those new ones work.
    Unity 2022.2.16 HDRP

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  29. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Truly a holy bible to fix light leaking issues, still sadly that cutting edge tech thingies and mostly ignored by community and showing little to no interest in terms of tutorials. ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶U̶n̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶5̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶g̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶v̶i̶e̶w̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶i̶n̶y̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶.̶

Spikebor likes this.
  30. Spikebor

Spikebor

true, that video and especially the part where he placing boxes to invalidate probes outside of building to fix light leaking for thin wall is essential knowledge to work with APV.

31. Spikebor

Spikebor

Reflection Probe has request baking API for when environment changed, do we have API for probes to update when we need in the same way?
    Like for example when a house is destroyed by dragon attack?

newguy123 and JesOb like this.
  32. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

probes needs to be baked in the editor. You can achieve that by using lighting scenarios and bake both data before and after your house is destroyed, but the scenes changes must be known at bake time

Spikebor likes this.
  33. Spikebor

Spikebor

thank you for the clarification! so it's only good for static gameplay.
    Thank you for the clarification! So for destructive gameplay where we'll use RayFire then APV can't do much hmm. It's such a sad news since I like the beauty of APV very much.

34. Super_RafyYT

Super_RafyYT

why arent the probe volumes working on my car model(im using unity 2023.1.0b13 in urp) jesko.png

35. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Is the car set to reveive gi from light probes?

36. Super_RafyYT

Super_RafyYT

how do i set it?

37. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

You can use this debug mode to check
    upload_2023-4-27_11-23-11.png

38. Super_RafyYT

Super_RafyYT

yeah, seems like non of the meshes are recieving lightning from probe volumes, how can i set 'em to do so?

Attached Files:

• img.png
      img.png
      File size:
      327.7 KB
      Views:
  39. PutridEx

PutridEx

go to your object/mesh in the hierarchy and set it to contribute lighting then set it to probe.

The options are lightmap and probe.

40. newguy123

newguy123

is there a way to do this for all prefabs and meshes in your scene in 1 go?

41. PutridEx

PutridEx

t:meshrenderer in the hierarchy search will only show meshes.
    Then you can multiselect in the hierarchy to do it

42. icauroboros

icauroboros

Yellow means receiving but not contributing. If it is invisible on that screen then it is not receiving and contributing.

43. icauroboros

icauroboros

Looks like Skinned mesh renderers not shown on debug view, is that a know bug?

Attached Files:

44. Super_RafyYT

Super_RafyYT

didnt work, i still get the same results

45. m4robb

m4robb

I get this error when doing a build on 2023.1.13 using APV: 'Lighting scenarios are not supported by this render pipeline.' I have a number of scenes, all Probe Volume settings are set to Single Scene mode. Seems to happen with one scene in particular, here is a screen shot of the settings, and the error in console.

upload_2023-4-28_10-54-14.png

46. Spikebor

Spikebor

I've use touch up volume to invalidate the inside and outside probes, but still get that wrong column of light.
    It is the space between 2 walls.
    From the debug view, the probes are invalidated correctly, but why it is still using outside light data?

upload_2023-4-28_16-40-12.png upload_2023-4-28_16-40-20.png

47. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Any news on this front?

48. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Indeed there is an initialization issue. In the meantime you can enable the lighting sceraios in the hdrp asset and create a default scenario in the list (the list shouldn't be empty)

Spikebor likes this.
  49. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

You can use the probe sampling debug mode to visualize which probes are sampled at a specific location

Spikebor likes this.
  50. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

We still don't have any precise plan for that feature

Spikebor likes this.