Search Unity

Ad scheme

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by lmbarns, Jul 21, 2012.

1. lmbarns

lmbarns

Idea:
    -Signs, billboards, objects in 3d environment launch a webpage with a dozen ads and article upselling them
    -Each time an ad is clicked 10+ ads are shown in the browser
    -Pressing back returns to game
    -Player gets a reward in game for having viewed the ads making them want to click ads when they find them in game

Pros:
    -Ads are in 3d space (sign on a building, billboard next to road, or a 3d object) and don't cover your screen other than when the browser is launched, and you are rewarded in game, to compensate.
    -Ads you show aren't for S***ty exploitative games, you have control of what's shown and it can cover non gaming topics
    -A dozen page impressions per ad instance, possible click throughs if you design it well (show kids an ad for a supersoaker or disneyland)

Cons:
    -Inconvenience of opening browser and hitting back button

Threw together a quick prototype of what I'm trying to describe:

What do you think? I really think many of the games shown in in-app ads are despicable exploitative pieces of S*** I'd rather not support, especially in games targeted at children. I think I could make as much doing this.

What do you guys think? In game rewards are the key incentive, powerup, special items, whatever, it would be a slot machine mechanic with smaller chance at really good rewards.

2. SevenBits

SevenBits

I think all ads are despicable exploitative pieces of S***. But they are necessary.

For instance, I explicitly hate targeted ads, but sadly they are they and Google make money off them so they will stay...

3. lmbarns

lmbarns

Yeah, but I'd much rather show a kid ads to disneyland, seaworld, squirt guns, etc or whatever kid stuff they like and will click on, rather than all the desertville's in the world. I guess I need to test 1 admob impression versus 10+ adsense impressions to see if it's going to be a worthwhile replacement.

But I just figured you can multiply the ad impressions 10 fold by bundling them together by topic and giving the player an in game incentive(rewards/buffs/powerups) for taking 5 seconds to launch the browser and return to the game.