Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Actually Using Unity Editor Offline

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WhiteCastle, Aug 27, 2019.

1. WhiteCastle

WhiteCastle

Since hub was added, there are hundreds of articles on how to "install" and "license" Unity offline. Maybe I am the only one, but installation and licensing were not the main concern for me - I was easily able to go online for this. The problem I run into is based on my desire to be able to use the editor on my laptop when I do not have internet access. Personally, as a Unity hobbyist, most of the time I get nowadays to work with Unity is when I am sitting somewhere with just me and my laptop :) My experience is that I click to open the project in Hub (or start the editor directly) and it just opens Hub. All paths lead back to Hub. Sometimes I get "the server is unresponsive" and other times I get nothing. So, assuming that Hub and the editor are all installed and everything is licensed, is there a way to start the editor and edit a project without network access?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity versions prior to 2019.1 did not require Hub to be installed. I'd expect Unity to eventually improve their offline support in 2019.x as more and more people are moving to it, but I'd probably just use 2018.4.x for now in your case.

Or you can just enable teathering from your phone while you open Unity, then shut it off after you get in.

3. WhiteCastle

WhiteCastle

Got it - thanks. I do also use (or try to :) the editor in situations where I do not have the option of tethering. I say this only in hope that Unity will consider this use case. If it is licensing is what they are concerned with, then I'd hope they would devise a solution that validates licensing w/o preventing the use of the editor. I (personally) would be okay if it was required for building, just not editing/debugging/running in the editor. However, this would surely still affect others. I also am a little confused why the free license needs validation at all... In the end, your suggestion to move back a few versions is certainly a great idea for me considering how few features I need for my level of usage.