Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

ActionMap.Disable() does not disable actions for all scripts

Discussion in 'Input System' started by schwmm, Mar 20, 2021.

1. schwmm

schwmm

Hi,

currently I'm using the new Input System for my player controls. The actions are grouped into an actionmap, which I access via the auto-generated C# script's namespace. In my player script, I enable and disable the actionmap - this works as expected:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnEnable()
    2.     {
    3.         playerActionMap.Enable();
    4.     }
    5.     private void OnDisable()
    6.     {
    7.         playerActionMap.Disable();
    8.     }
    Some of the controls are also being used in other scripts. A simple example can be seen below:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TestOnJumpButton : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     private Controls controls;
    4.     private InputActionMap playerActionMap;
    7.     private void Awake()
    8.     {
    9.         controls = new Controls();
    10.         playerActionMap = controls.Player;
    12.         controls.Player.Jump.performed += ctx => TestOnInput();
    13.     }
    15.     private void OnEnable()
    16.     {
    17.         playerActionMap.Enable();
    18.     }
    19.     private void OnDisable()
    20.     {
    21.         playerActionMap.Disable();
    22.     }
    24.     private void TestOnInput()
    25.     {
    26.         Debug.Log("Pressed Jump Button");
    28.     }
    Now my problem:
    I would have expected, that if I enable / disable the actionmap in one script, it would globally enable / disable it for all scripts listening to its actions. But this does not work... The "TestOnJumpButton" script only works if I enable the actionmap in this script. Also, if I disable the Player Script (and therefore the actionmap with it) during runtime, the "TestOnInput()" function is still being called whenever the Jump action is activated.

Am I overlooking something? Is this intented behaviour?

2. This is your clue. You're creating a new instance for this script. If you want a global one, make ONE global instance and reference it everywhere. This is basic C# behavior and programming.

3. schwmm

schwmm

Thank you very much for your reply!
    I kind of assumed it would be something like this, however I'm not expirienced enough (yet) with Unity or coding to have pinpointed it - so thanks for pointing it out!

To the solution:
    I guess generally something like this could be addressed by making a singleton out of the class and attaching it to an empty gameObject (if it requires MonoBehaviour).
    However - as I have the auto-created C# class of the InputSystem, including a namespace, is there a way of skipping this step? Does it include already a global static instance of my Controls() that I could access directly from different scripts somehow?