Search Unity

Question Achieve better lighting?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by GetMyIsland, Apr 30, 2021.

1. GetMyIsland

GetMyIsland

Hello everyone,

I'm making a Horror Game and I can't really create cool scenes because my lighting always looks unreal, too dark or to bright.

I'm using the built in render engine from Unity and the normal shader.
    For the light I mostly use point lights with a white color.

Here is an example photo of my current scene:

It just looks not right to me and I want to improve my scenes and make them look scary.
    They should be dark, but not too dark.

My question is what are you doing to get a better lighting. For example do you prefer point- or spotlight or which color should I use.

Thanks in advance
    Maximilian

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Point lights might be better suited for that dood. Also, they are good for candles, and small lamps that are placed, in the spooky enviroment.

But you can use almost any type of light, or a bunch of different lights, to light up a horror scene, if you play around with the settings, and use them correctly, to envoke the spookyness and mood of the dark scene. In most cases for a horror scene, I would say that a more softer yet dimmer light, might be better than a sharp bright light.

Another thing, a spotlight might stand out a bit too much, for lighting a horror game enviroment. But it can be used, if you use it intelligently, by tweaking the settings of the spot light, to make it light up and fit the mood of the scene. It's really how you use it, or any other type of light in the scene that counts.

Also, a spot light might be better if used, for the light of a bright flash light, a bright lamp or magic horror lamp on the roof, shining light down onto the floor. Or for a bright glowing object in a far away room, shining light down a long spooky hallway or corridor, toward the player.:eek:

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    GetMyIsland likes this.
  3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@GetMyIsland
    Oh I forgot to mention. You could use a few light probes too. But don't use to many of them, or it might slow down your game.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres what i see... you have nothing but 4 walls and a floor, and your trying to address lighting. You cant address lighting till you actually have other objects (table, lamp, chair, etc.), so you have something to go by. Just walls and floor dont cut it, your perspective is off.

You cant set up lighting without a set up scene. You could waste your time setting lighting now, then when you put in assets later, just to find out, the shadows and lighting are wrong. Your workflow is the problem... :)

FernandoMK likes this.