Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question Accidentally Mixing Pro and Personal Unity Licenses

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TRooster, Jul 9, 2022.

1. TRooster

TRooster

Hey guys! I've done a lot of digging around regarding info on using multiple licenses, but a lot of the threads I found seem kinda old and none of them quite address my worries, which are admittedly weirdly specific.

So, I'm a professional developer working for a small company from home, and we use Unity to develop apps quite often. I created a separate account to work for them, and they purchased that account a seat on their organization for Unity Pro. That's the license I use when working.

However, I have a number of personal projects, too, and I work on those using a free license on my personal account. Now that I have two accounts with their own respective licenses, getting things rolling has become a bit more complicated. In an effort to respect Unity's terms, I --

1. Return my pro license
    2. Log out of my professional account
    3. Log in to my personal account
    4. Activate a personal license

-- every time I want to work on a personal project. I'm aware that right now, this is one of the only ways to use multiple licenses on one machine, and unfortunately, I'm not currently in a position to acquire a second computer to make this easier. :(

Thing is, I can be a bit of a space case, and though it's hard for me to recall any specific instances of doing so, I worry about times where I might've forgotten to switch the licenses when opening personal projects, thus doing work on them while using Unity Pro without realizing until I'm 3-4 hours in.

Maybe it's a bit of a paranoid question, but would this "tag" my personal project permanently, and therefore qualify as "mixing licenses", even if I correct my mistake after, or avoid building it using Pro? I've seen stuff that implies that even so much as opening a project under a certain license shoots you off into "illegal" territory, even if you then proceed to switch back to a Personal license after.

I'd really hate to have to scrap an entire project because of a lapse of memory, and I feel like I might be overthinking it, but I really want to be sure.

Thanks for your help ahead of time!

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

There is no tagging and no need to be paranoid. Navy Seals won‘t storm your appartment. ;)
    Although the only thing you should consider is to not make a release build with the Pro license since the Personal license forces the splash screen whereas Pro does not.

In any case, you don‘t even need an extra computer. Just create a new local user account for your personal projects. There‘s a good chance that Unity will remember each account for each user account and in that case all you need to do is log out of your regular (windows/osx/*nux) account and log in to another.

TRooster likes this.