Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Accidentally deleted the Hub! (Ubuntu Linux) is there a way to get it back?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by RichAllen2023, Feb 13, 2023.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Above.

I was happily working on a WORKING tutorial project last night, doing the last bit to build it as a WebGL project, and for some reason, Unity's now gone from my toolbar on the bottom of the screen.

I've downloaded the app image for the Hub but I don't have admin rights on this PC to install stuff.

Is there anything else I can do?

2. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

1. you can search for unity in the application panel on linux/mac, or start menu on windows.
    2. acquire the admin right(how you installed unity in the 1st place).

3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

1) I've been searching for it all day, to no avail.
    2) My Brother won't let me have the admin password to install stuff, he literally thinks I'll install viruses and other nasties
    2b) He was the one who installed Unity originally, I just install new versions via the Hub.

4. tylerinthezoo

tylerinthezoo

Unity Technologies

you can hack the admin group is the only way i see. I am not here to suggest you doing that though...

5. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I wouldn't know how, and if I could I wouldn't, my Brother would never fix my PC again.

6. phrobion

phrobion

I do not think you deleted "unityhub", just the link to it in the panel.
    Open a console, type:

unityhub
    hit <Enter> and look whats happening...

RichAllen2023 likes this.
  7. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Just tried it, it didn't work, I tried
    sudo apt install unityhub
    but because I don't have the admin password to install stuff that didn't work either, fortunately our Dave and family are coming up tomorrow from London so he'll be able to try and fix it.

8. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I've just got it back! I managed to integrate and run the appimage I downloaded last week.