Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Accessing array from another script

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by liquidsht, Sep 17, 2020.

1. liquidsht

liquidsht

I am trying to build a save system with which needs to save inventory the player is carrying. I am using an asset called Corgi Engine for the controller which also has inventory system built in.

The inventory in the corgi engine is an array so when I save, I am trying to access the array with my save point script, the Corgi Engine script looks like this now(I am only showing the codes I think is relevant as I am sure the Corgi Engine developer wont want me to show all his codes):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace MoreMountains.InventoryEngine
    2. public class Inventory : MonoBehaviour
    3. {public InventoryItem[ ] Content;
    My save manager Script
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using MoreMountains.InventoryEngine;
    5. public class SavePoint : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     GameObject player;
    8.     GameObject gameManager;
    9.     EasySave easySave;
    10.     HealthWithCameraShakeExtension health;
    11.     GameObject savePoint;
    12.     Inventory inventory;
    15.     void Start()
    16.     {
    17.         player = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player");
    18.         easySave = GameObject.Find("EasySaveManager").GetComponent<EasySave>();
    19.         inventory = GameObject.Find("Inventories").GetComponent<Inventory>();//grabs inventory from MoreMountain inv engine
    22.     }
    I am able to see Inventory class from asset with intellisense, but I dont know how to go about accessing the InventoryItem[ ] array from my savepoint script. TIA.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Code (CSharp):
    1. InventoryItem[] inventoryArray = inventory.Content;

3. liquidsht

liquidsht

Thanks PraetorBlue, I put the line in Start(), there is no errors in visual studio but I am getting NullReferenceException error in the editor. Do you know what might cause this?

4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Your GameObject.Find couldn't find anything, or the object it found didn't have an Inventory component on it.

unityunity