Search Unity

Access two transforms in a Job

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by PNordlund, May 1, 2018.

1. PNordlund

PNordlund

I have a very simple job that is trying to keep objects facing the camera:

struct KeepFacingCameraJob : IJobParallelFor
    {
    [ReadOnly]
    public TransformAccessArray cameras;
    [ReadOnly]
    public TransformAccessArray objects;

public void Execute(int i)
    {
    objects = cameras.rotation;
    }
    }

This produces an error about unsafe pointers. I could use IJobParallelForTransform but then I can only access a single transform. How can I access multiple transforms in a job?

2. LazyGameDevZA

LazyGameDevZA

From what I know the `TransformAccessArray` is part of the hybrid functionality that's been added. In this case it'll provide access to the `Transform` object, NOT a struct type that can be safely accessed from a job. Also note that you've marked the `TransformAccessArray` you're transforming as `ReadOnly` which is an optimization attribute used to determine if a job can be run concurrently with another because it's only accessing data and not changing it, thus not able to cause race conditions.

3. PNordlund

PNordlund

Thanks. I can work around this by using the IJobParallelForTransform to modify the target object's transform and storing the camera rotations into an array I can index in the Job instead of accessing the camera's transform itself. It's a bit clumsy of course.

But I guess the question is, how can I make a job that can use one transform to modify another transform. Practical example - I have a bunch of child objects which are dependant on their parent's position/rotation/movement in some non-linear way.

4. LazyGameDevZA

LazyGameDevZA

I've looked through some of the `Entities` code and came across the `TransformParentComponent` you could use to parent the Transforms to the camera objects. The built-in `TransformSystem` takes care of matching rotation to that of the parent if the components are matched correctly.

5. snacktime

snacktime

I have that exact case (almost), child objects that need to rotate based on where the parent is. I just use separate jobs for each where the child job depends on the parent job.

unityunity