Search Unity

Feature Request Access to SV_VertexID from shadergraph

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by KillHour, Jul 19, 2019.

1. KillHour

KillHour

I've been working on modifying ShaderGraph to support rendering meshes created in compute shaders, and as far as I can tell, the only missing piece to allow me to do it with a custom function node is access to the vertex ID data so I can properly index the buffer. If this was exposed as a property, it would open up a ton of possibilities.

2. andybak

andybak

There's been a couple of questions about SV_VertexID in Shader Graph and they all go unanswered. I want to create a mesh animation via either Shader Graph or the Visual FX graph but I'm stuck because it appears you can't SV_VertexID in Shader Graph - and you can't draw specific triangles in the Visual FX graph.

Out of the two - the former seems like the biggest oversight and should be the simplest to fix.

Could the Unity team give an indication that they are aware of this feature request and some hint of whether it's likely to be addressed?

3. MasoInar

MasoInar

I'm also waiting answer for this problem

Mese96 and KillHour like this.
  4. ViCoX

ViCoX

Ping! Any updates on this? I would like to get access to SV_VertexID as well..

5. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

ryanslikesocool and steego like this.
  6. DanielZeller

DanielZeller

LooperVFX likes this.
  7. DanielZeller

DanielZeller

That PR is kind of useless without this one though :) https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/pull/3281 Which makes it possible to pass data from the vert stage to the frag stage needed for DrawProcedural UV's.

LooperVFX likes this.
  8. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for the heads up!

9. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

While these upcoming features have not yet landed in the graphics packages bundled with the 2021.2 editor alpha, I cloned the graphics repo from github and locally imported the packages from master branch to run a quick test. So far so good!

Screenshot 2021-03-15 044724.png

SteveKouts likes this.
  10. SteveKouts

SteveKouts

Thats great, I really need access through shader code though for the vertexID, I'm using Unity 2021.3.21f1 and its still not available it seems.

11. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

Hi @SteveKouts,

according to the doc, the Vertex ID node was introduced in Shader Graph 12.0 (2021.2).

SteveKouts likes this.