Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Access Parse Cloud Database From Unity 0.1 preview

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by HarryS, Feb 19, 2012.

1. HarryS

HarryS

Hi all, i don't know if you have noticed a great cloud based database service called parse (http://www.parse.com/), they offer free and cheap nosql hosting with APIs for IOS, Android and REST access. Here is a library I am working on that enables access through unity. Data can be stored and retrieved synchronously and asynchronously. I would love to hear any feedback.

I am not affiliated with Parse, but you do need an account with them to use this library. Documentation is very sparse, you should definitely check out the parse online documention.

You can download this version from http://bit.ly/y2MH5X

Please read the included README for more info, comments, bugs are alway appreciated, you can also find me as Harry_S on #unity3d @ irc.freenode.net

2. ValerieS

ValerieS

What is the advantage of Parse over other SQL cloud database services, if I may? Is it compatible with Unity?

3. HarryS

HarryS

I don't think I can help you with the advantages of one over the other, this code is to make parse.com accessible from unity, parse.com offers a REST interface that is being used in this library. Making other services that offer REST accessible from Unity not very hard.

The main difference between parse.com and the one that you referenced (xeround.com) is that parse.com is a NoSql, schema free DB, that is very flexible, xeround seems to offer cloud hosting of MySql databases.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. TheCheese

TheCheese

Just curious if any more headway was made with this?

5. gl33mer

gl33mer

HarryS. You are very kind.

I haven't tested your package yet, but I've wanted this for quite a while. I have too much on my plate, this helps.

Will report on my progress.

ps

I was planning on integrating restSharp for my attempt. You wrote your own from scratch then?

6. gl33mer

gl33mer

As promised I'm reporting back.

Works well. Have only played around with it for a few min's.

For those trying this out and at first glance wondering why it's not working I recommend reading through FullTestBehavior.cs.

By bluntly remarking the methods that delete the items, you will get some results in your tables. Otherwise looking at the Parse dashboard you will only see the table itself (as everything is being deleted as part of the test).

Harry, there is a warning being thrown regarding a background test and the inbackground test fails when run. This seems to sort itself out when I remark those delete methods.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  7. cozza13

cozza13

Hi I am trying to access the libraries that were posted and they seem to no longer be available.

8. gl33mer

gl33mer

I just tried the link and it seems to work. It's only a simple CS script. As you can see the version is 0.1.

But still works, basically.

http://bit.ly/y2MH5X

9. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Haven't tried this out yet but thanks for sharing

10. gl33mer

gl33mer

No problem. I know Parse have made changes to their API, you may need to fiddle with the script.

I ended up abandoning Parse as I couldn't get their Facebook API to work for me.

Maybe you could share your progress with this? thank you.

11. Mey

Mey

Hi,
    Im also interested to hear if anyone had already used the REST API via parse.com services to integrate with Facebook,
    Thanks in advance for sharing!

12. brianbraatz

brianbraatz

Anyone who has this can you please repost?
    link is dead

or send it to me in private email and Ill upload and post here

thanks!

13. gl33mer

gl33mer

I looked and can't spot the script (been a while.)

Have you tried him on the IRC channel? (look at the original post for details)

14. guru20

guru20

any progress with this, or is it still available somewhere?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether I should try to use Parse (vs. something like AWS, or even my own MySQL db...)

15. runningbird

runningbird

I'm working on a full demo project that shows how to use parse for user login as well as saving high scores and other data such as saved player data etc.

If there is interest I'll release it as a pack for cheap with full documentation.

16. runningbird

runningbird

As promised here is a forum link to the Parse.Com DEMO Demo