Search Unity

Access iPhone settings from Unity?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by zigglr, Jun 2, 2016.

1. zigglr

zigglr

Does anyone know how to access the iPhone settings from Unity in order to turn off / on the notifications setting for my app? Thanks

2. liortal

liortal

You can use the following native iOS (Objective-C )code. Note that it only works with iOS 8 or higher:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void OpenSettingsMenu() {
    2.     if (&UIApplicationOpenSettingsURLString != NULL) {
    3.         NSURL *appSettings = [NSURL URLWithString:UIApplicationOpenSettingsURLString];
    4.         [[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL:appSettings];
    5.     }
    6. }
    See this link for more details.

andymads likes this.
  3. zigglr

zigglr

Thanks, so is there any code to turn off the notifications without the user having to do it manually through their settings page?

4. liortal

liortal

I don't think you can do that.

5. zigglr

zigglr

Ok. So this code gets entered in Unity or I have to put it somewhere in xCode?

6. andymads

andymads

Was wondering about this as I was in an app the other day and it took me directly to its specific settings so I could enable notifications. Thanks for the code snippet.

7. zigglr

zigglr

Do you know where in xCode this code should be put? And how do I then call it in Unity? Thanks

8. liortal

liortal

Read about native iOS plugins in the manual: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PluginsForIOS.html

In general this requires a few simple steps:
    1. Add the native code to your Unity project. Starting with Unity 5, you can drop these files (an .m file and a matching .h header) anywhere in the project. The plugin inspector allows you to select which platforms these files are relevant for (in this case - iOS).
    2. Define an "extern" method (with the DllImport attribute) like in the link above.
    3. Call this method, which will result in calling the native method.
    Hope this helps :)

9. Nachman

Nachman

This is very helpful but I had been trying to find online the url string for the Ads tracking and app analytics page and I can't find it anywhere. Any Ideas in how to access those pages?
    Thanks in advance.