Search Unity

Access AudioClip in timeline with code

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by carlpetersson, Apr 26, 2018.

1. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

I am working on a project where I need a variable to contain the AudioClip I have added on my timeline. Since the AudioSource that I am using in my timeline does now show the AudioClip playing when the application is running I am wondering how I can refer to this clip within my code in any other way. Hopefully this question make sense otherwise I will be happy trying to explain my problem more.

Thanks in advance!

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

The TimelineClip returns the asset, which is of type AudioPlayableAsset for audio tracks, which in turn contain a reference to the AudioClip:
    The ((TimelineClip.asset) as AudioPlayableAsset).clip

Is this what you were looking for?

3. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

Thanks for your response!

I have played around a little with the information you gave me but I cannot seem to understand how to tie that to my timeline. I want to access the name of the audioclip on a timeline like the one you can see on the image. Am I able to do this with the code that you provided?

Thanks

upload_2018-4-27_8-4-41.png

4. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

There is an easier version for that:
    TimelineClip has a property called displayName . This is what's drawn in the UI (and you can rename the clip from the inspector).

5. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

I guess what I don't get is how you get the TimlineClip properties to refer to my specific timeline. How do I get the properties in TimelineClip occupied with my timeline data so that I can refer to them in code?

6. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

Still trying to figure out how to access the AudioSource and AudioClip inside my timeline. Is there maybe something like a get() function that will allow me to access the properties inside my timeline? Appreciate any help I can get

7. sebastienlh

sebastienlh

Unity Technologies

If I understand correctly, you want to get to the contents of a clip in a Timeline. If so, there are a few steps to do this and you'll need a reference to the PlayableDirector component that contains your Timeline. Then, there is a bit of gymnastics involved; here's an example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var director = GetComponent<PlayableDirector>();
    2. var timeline = (TimelineAsset) director.playableAsset;
    3. var audioTrack = timeline.GetOutputTracks().FirstOrDefault(t => t is AudioTrack); // If you give your track a custom name, you can use that instead
    4. var clip = audioTrack.clips.FirstOrDefault();
    5. var audioClip = ((AudioPlayableAsset) clip.asset).clip; // This is your AudioClip
    7. Debug.LogFormat("audioClip = {0} ({1})", audioClip.name, audioClip.GetType().FullName);
    This code will get the first AudioClip of the first AudioTrack in your Timeline. You should probably add a few null-checks to this code if you want to use it in production.

Does that help?

Edit: I had `flattenedTracks` in the snippet before, instead of `GetOutputTracks()` which was a mistake.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    steril likes this.
  8. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

On line 3 I am getting an error message for flattenedTracks that is saying that TimelineAsset does not contain a definition or extension method called flattenedTracks. I thought I was missing a library that I cannot define but that might not be it?

9. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

So I have this function that has an AudioClip as one of its variables (void function(AudioClip soundFile)) like the example and I want to use this function with a variable containing the AudioClip referring to the one I currently have in my timeline called Ivarro-Grind... as you can see in an earlier post. I probably should have mentioned this explanation in the beginning but oh well. Thanks for taking your time trying to help me out tho, I appreciate it.

10. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

You can use timelineAsset.GetOutputTracks().FirstOrDefault(t => t is AudioTrack) instead.

11. carlpetersson

carlpetersson

Sorry for a late response but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that took there time and helped me out! Because of that I was able to figure it out and make it work.

seant_unity likes this.
  12. cobykaufer

cobykaufer