Search Unity

Accellerator without Collaborate

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by JurjenBiewenga, Sep 12, 2019.

1. JurjenBiewenga

JurjenBiewenga

Would using Accelerator require using Collaborate as well or will it work with other version control solutions as well? If so which ones will be/are supported?

timmehhhhhhh likes this.
  2. bradunity

bradunity

At this time the Accelerator only supports the VCS provided by Collaborate. We are discussing plans for future support but haven't locked down anything just yet.

3. timmehhhhhhh

timmehhhhhhh

bummer, but cool work so far. looking forward to when we might see this usable outside of collaborate!

4. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Just want to get this straight:

If we move to Unity 2019.3, the Asset Cache no longer provides any benefit since the Asset Database is no V2.

So we need the Accelerator instead.

I have no use for Collaborate (as we're a git shop), but we definitely need the asset caching. So we can setup Accelerator even though we're not using Collaborate to get that impact, correct?

David

siggigg likes this.
  5. bradunity

bradunity

@nsxdavid, yes, once we've landed support for communicating with the Accelerator from Unity Editors in the 2019.3 beta cycle, you will be able to use the new Asset Import Pipeline (V2) from those Editors to utilize the Accelerator to avoid needing to reimport assets. There is no requirement to use Collaborate (that's just an additional benefit for folks that are part of Unity Teams).

The 2019.3 Editors still support the original (legacy) V1 pipelines, too, which can continue to utilize the old Cache Server, if you're already set up in that way. The version of pipeline in use is stored within the project settings and is preserved when opening older projects in the new Editor.

siggigg likes this.
  6. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

@bradunity So you're saying the current beta doesn't even use the Accelerator for the V2 pipeline? It's very confusing, especially since there's all this documentation for setting up exactly that.

7. bradunity

bradunity

Yes, @nsxdavid, that's correct. We missed our release target for supporting both before this announcement and decided to roll forward so that we didn't hold back our customers using Unity Teams. We also recognize that our messaging around this was confusing and are trying to be extra responsive in the forums and blog comments as we update the FAQ to more clearly describe the situation while we wait for the upcoming release that will include full support for both.

I apologize for how this has landed--it was a big miss on our part. Hopefully, through questions from folks like you, we're helping others as they dig into the new product. So, I sincerely thank you and everyone else asking after it. It really helps the whole community.

8. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

@bradunity I've been test-porting our very large project to U2019.3. Lots of issues, but I finally got it sort of working. I'm surprised by just how janky this point release seems compared to past ones, I guess just a lot has changed under the hood.

But, obviously, we can't move to this until the Accelerator works with asset pipeline V2. We really rely on the asset cache to keep our pretty large team efficient.

9. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

@bradunity Also, even though I rolled a Unity 2019.2 project that used V1 pipeline (naturally) and cache server forward to U2019.3.... it switched to V2. Which is not what you stated you expected to happen above.

10. bradunity

bradunity

@nsxdavid, I was incorrect regarding the preservation of v1 when opening a project with 2019.3. Apparently, this is the expected path for 2019.3 editors, to auto-upgrade older projects to v2. Sorry about misleading you on that.

11. bradunity

bradunity

12. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

13. isaac-ashdown

isaac-ashdown

Per that thread:
    "In the Preferences window, the Check Connection button is not operational in the 2019.3 Beta 6. This functionality will be added in a future Beta release."

As such, how can I confirm that the connection is working? The button is enabled, and clicking it currently gives me "connection failed" (I have restarted unity already)

14. bradunity

bradunity

Yes, the button isn't functional, unfortunately. We have a fix in flight, but it missed the cutoff to be included in the Beta 6 release.

For now, the only way to know if you're using the Accelerator is to look at your Editor.log for lines matching content like the following...

Using Asset Import Pipeline V2
    RemoteAssetCacheGetArtifact
    RemoteAssetCache::AddArtifactToCacheServer

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Hope it will work in the future with just local files and nothing remote, just local git

16. bradunity

bradunity

@Lars-Steenhoff, I'm not sure I follow your suggestion... The Asset Import Pipeline V2 does not require use of the Accelerator, using a local Asset Database, and has nothing to do with git.

17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think I misunderstood what accelerator does, basically I'm looking for this: background importing and compressing of textures.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/09/11/speed-up-your-team-with-the-unity-accelerator/

But if I understood it correctly this will come as part of the asset pipeline v2 correct?

18. bradunity

bradunity

19. Yijiankeji

Yijiankeji

Hello, is there any support for the latest update of unity2020.1.a7 in UnityHub?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. bradunity

bradunity

21. isaac-ashdown

isaac-ashdown

Thanks for the info - in the end I could see that it was working as the server's cache folder grew as expected.

22. l15608652001

l15608652001

Can the latest version of the Unity Editor use Accelerator without Collabrator?

Pawciu likes this.
  23. gregoryh_unity

gregoryh_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes it can. https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/UnityAccelerator.html It is unfortunately still listed under Collaborate in the manual (doc organization changes sometime take quite a while) but many use the Accelerator with just the Asset Pipeline V2 capabilities.

If you have further questions, can you make a separate thread? I'm not sure if all the folks from this year-old thread want to get notified for our discussion. :)

l15608652001 likes this.
  24. Pawciu

Pawciu

Hi

If Unity Edtor can use Accelerator without Collaborator is it possible to run automatic builds on agent machine that will use Unity Accelerator?
    How can Unity Build step on agent machine pull and push changes to UnityAccelerator server? I'm trying to set this up in Azure DevOps.

Thanks

Edit:
    Ok, I found old post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/usage-in-batchmode.819543/
    and added command line arguments:
    -adb2 -enableCacheServer -cacheServerEndpoint $(UnityCacheServer) -cacheServerNamespacePrefix $(ProjectCacheServerNamespace) -cacheServerEnableDownload true -cacheServerEnableUpload true

Right now I see that Unity Accelerator is working with build agent. I will post update with the result

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  25. Pawciu

Pawciu

Ok CI with Unity Accelerator running locally without TLS/SSL seems to work.
    Now I'm trying to setup production environment with SSL and it ani't easy :(