Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Accelerator compromises performances when used locally, it's unusable.

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by Jean-Fabre, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

It seems I am having some severe trouble when using accelerator on the same machine I am working on. the performances are really ( extremely bad), I am running a macbook pro 2017 and the ventilation just will not stop, and if I dare opening two or three unity projects at the same time, the whole OS suffers from slow inputs to the point where it becomes unusable and unrelated apps starts crashing.

I uninstalled accelerator and everything is back to normal. it seems that this should not be the case that this accelerator cache server takes up so much resources...

The very odd thing is that the OSX Activity Monitor doesn't show anything out of the ordinary . it's pretty much the same symptoms as when you use the unity network system that just got deprecated, any standalone app using this unity network had the same effect on the the computer without any clear detection of any issues within the Activity Monitor.

I haven't tried to install accelerator on a second computer, that would be dedicated for this, this is not how I intend to work ( I don't want to carry two laptops... :) ) but the question would be if this is the accelerator server that create this issue of each individual unity editor instances.

Bye,

Jean

2. hiepu3d

hiepu3d

Unity Technologies

Hi @Jean-Fabre , thank you for letting us know about the problem.

Could you provide us with more information about your setup and resource usage? We got that you have a MacBook pro-2017. Could you let us know more about things like processor, memory, disk, graphics, OS version, etc? If the storage directory is in an external disk, it would be good to know about that disk as well.

Also, could you provide us resource usage information (like disk I/O, memory, CPU) with and without running Accelerator when you are running 1, 2, or 3 editors at the same time? I assume that's how you open multiple Unity projects. You can also get Accelerator's metrics through its metrics endpoint as well (localhost:[PORT]/metrics).

Another thing that would be good to know is what version of Unity you are using for your projects.

Thanks,

3. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

I an not using an external storage in this setup.

version : 10.15.5
    processor: 2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I have a 500 Gb SSD disk with 294 GB available.

the thing is that, as I said, there the activity monitor doesn't pick anything at all, I am not sure this is the best tool to try to find where the issue is as to why the accelerator system is taking up so much resources ( or what not, still not sure at this point).

I am using unity 2019.3.15f1, 2019.4.1f1, the latests proposed by the unity hub on this day.

I'll run more tests as you suggested, during the week end, I can't really take time right now. The problem also happen without any unity editor opened, the computer definitly behaves badly even like that, but I'll come up with the metrics in a couple a days.

I do think as I said above that the key is likely your network layer transport, as it is on par with why we could not use the unity network system on some of our projects, because it would totally ruin performances without any clue as to what's going on.

Bye,

Jean

4. hiepu3d

hiepu3d

Unity Technologies

Thank you for providing us with your setup information. More data about the metrics when you have time would be great as well! Also, could you check the version of the accelerator? You can see the version in the local dashboard or use `--version` with the executable `unity-accelerator` in the storage directory (if there is any) or in the installation directory.

Thanks,

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

is 8% is the baseline cpu utilization or peak?
    upload_2020-8-5_1-57-52.png

6. gregoryh_unity

gregoryh_unity

Unity Technologies

It is just the measurement at the time the check was made (i.e. when the page was loaded). If you want more detailed analysis of cpu usage (or other metrics) you currently would need to use a monitoring system, like prometheus+grafana. The accelerator provides a /metrics HTTP endpoint (you can just put that into your browser url field if you want to peek at it) that is in the prometheus format. This is the endpoint you would add to a monitoring system.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I have no idea what you just said.
    I use accelerator locally only as the new cache server and it's confusing as F***.

hessel_mm likes this.
  8. gregoryh_unity

gregoryh_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, I'm sorry I caused more confusion rather than helping alleviate it. When you asked "is 8% is the baseline cpu utilization or peak?" I was trying indicate there was no baseline or peak measurements being taken or shown -- it just shows the current usage at that moment.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

oh ok gotcha