Search Unity

Acceleration is not accurate to real life

Discussion in 'Physics' started by FuturePilot1701, Oct 22, 2019.

1. FuturePilot1701

FuturePilot1701

I am attempting to make a somewhat realistic simulation of an aircraft called an F-100 super sabre. It has a mass of 13,085 kg and a thrust in afterburner of 71,000 N. I have the mass of the rigid body that is attached to my model set to this mass, and I am adding a force of 71000 to is every update. I also have a material on the fuselage (currently the only part that touches the terrain) that has all friction set to 0. In real life the plane has a thrust to weight ratio of 0.55, and is able to reach just over Mach 1. However, in unity, on flat ground, no friction, i get an acceleration of like 0.1 m/s^2. I can barely make the object move. I feel like this is a glitch with the physics system. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

2. tjmaul

tjmaul

Are you adding the force the Update() or FixedUpdate() method?

FixedUpdate() runs every physics frame, so thats the place for you to add the force.
    Update() runs every frame, which could be more or less frequent than a physics frame, depending on your machine and scene complexity.

Also when creating a physics material with friction 0, set friction combine. Otherwise the friction of the terrain is averaged with that of the fuselage.

3. FuturePilot1701

FuturePilot1701

thanks alot for replying. I changed Update to FixedUpdate and set Friction Combine to Multiply and that fixed it. This has had me stumped for 3 days so thanks a ton for helping me out.