Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Accelerating rigidbody towards max speed

Discussion in 'Physics' started by PanzerPotato, Jun 17, 2018.

?

How should I move and accelerate my vehicle?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2018.
  1. Directly change velocity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AddForce () and the like

100.0%
  3. Use transform.Translate ()

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You picked the wrong game to make...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanzerPotato

PanzerPotato

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of creating a naval game, and I have been trying to find a way for the ships (which have rigidbodies) to accelerate or decelerate to a certain speed. Drag will affect the ships. Any ideas on how I would approach this problem?

Thanks!

(By the way, I am aiming for movement similar to that of World of Warships.)

2. PanzerPotato

PanzerPotato

Additionally, on Unity Answers, someone pointed out that I could use this snippet;
    Code (CSharp):
    1. speed = transform.InverseTransformDirection (rb.velocity).z;
    2. force = Mathf.Clamp ((maxSpeed * (order / 4f) - speed) * acceleration, -maxForce, maxForce);
    3. rb.AddForce (transform.forward * force * Time.deltaTime, ForceMode.Force);
    It works swell, but with one major problem: It does not account for drag, resulting in the ship not being able to reach the target speed. Any ideas?

3. jtbentley

jtbentley

The rigidbody itself has a drag setting, which you can access via .drag (also angular drag), the effects of this won't really be noticeable until you cease acceleration.

For something interacting with water in a non-trivial manner, I would suggest clamp velocity manually by figuring out the length of the velocity vector and scaling it over time accordingly.

PanzerPotato likes this.
  4. adamrajab002

adamrajab002

I think, to get the acceleration of a rigidbody we can simply define it like acceleration = rigidbody. mass/force
    Where "force" is a variable defined in an AddForce(0, 0, force);method I hope it's understood..

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please don't necro threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.