Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Academic" editions... if one qualifies...

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by frigginjoe, Aug 3, 2006.

1. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Is there anything against doing whatever you'd like with the work you create?
    If there's no restriction on the actual content, provided you're a student, that'd be interesting. Though I'm sure it varies from product to product.
    Might be one heck of a cheap/funny tactic if an indie dev with no money decided to take the cost-effective route, and sign up for cheap or free course to save a few hundred/thousand on 'educational' software. I already got MS Office 2003 for well under $100.

I really wish a legit Independant licensing option was more a commonly available option, of course. The current means of getting animated models into Unity really goes against the idea of Indie development which Unity appears to be catered toward. Academic loopholes would be a decent middleground.
    Has anyone taken the time to research the viability of this? (legal)

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Hi Joe,

Since this is posted in the "External tools" section I assume you aren't thinking about Unity here. But just in case you're in doubt, content created with Unity Indie can be used comercially.

Also Unity Indie and Unity Pro support the exact same file formats, and animation features. The differences between the licenses are listed here: https://secure.otee.dk/shop/

d.

3. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Actually I bought the Unity pro license, and I was referring to external tools such as Cinema4d, Lightwave, etc.
    I've yet to see any restriction on the type of use of the full product provided the user does qualify as a student. While that's not your domain, I was thinking maybe others have been in the same boat and had the idea of doing such.

4. Darth_Vador

Darth_Vador

I don't know about cinima 4d but lightwave does have a restriction on using it for commercial purposes. If you go to journeyed.com and type in lightwave. It will tell you that an agreement form is required inorder to use lightwave.