Search Unity

absolute novice - need tutorial for camera

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by max3dlee, Aug 20, 2015.

1. max3dlee

max3dlee

Can someone please direct me to a tutorial on how to use cameras available the Assets > Import Package > Cameras

The cameraguidlines text is next to useless to a novice

More specifically I'm looking for a tutorial on how to use / create a lookat script in which the camera looks at an object and allows the user to orbit around and or zoom to that object

The FreeLookCameraRig appears to be what I'm after, but it does not perform as expected. If I leave it at its default position it seems to work okay, but If I move it closer to my "player" and then play the game the camera snaps to the target and rotates by itself.

All I'm after is a tutorial that will step through how to use this camera properly or a tutorial on how to use or write any camera script that will look at a target and allow the user to move toward the object and orbit around an object.

I have completed the Rollaball tutorial and thought it was one of the best tutorials I've seen in a long time. Thorough, detailed where it needed to be, broad in the sense that it solves many, many basic questions.

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

3. jhocking

jhocking

That is a pretty good tutorial on the subject. Technically it doesn't do what you asked initially, in that it doesn't explain how to use the camera scripts that come with Unity. Instead, it explains how to write your own camera scripts from scratch.

I also take that approach in my book Unity in Action. Not only do I cover scripts for several different types of cameras (incidentally, one thing reviewers specifically praised was the lightweight code for 3rd person cameras), but the book covers every part of a complete game!

4. max3dlee

max3dlee

@tedthebug - thanks! I will follow through those tutorials

@jhocking - I checked out the table of contents on amazon - looks pretty thorough. i'll consider purchasing it soon

you would think something as important and fundamental as learning how to use a camera would be all over the internet. I can find list 100 tutorials on how to create 1st and 3rd person cameras, but nothing on creating / using a lookat/zoom camera.

found several scripts that purport to do just that, but no tutorial on how to use the scripts. :(

still tho', really wish there was a quick and simple tutorial on how to use the camera scripts provided in unity. seems like a no-brainer, but alas, in regards to learning any new software, nothing simple is simple.