Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

absolute noob

Discussion in 'Animation' started by yamser, Dec 12, 2013.

1. yamser

yamser

hey guys , as you can see and you will know im total noob to this site and to making a game lol ,

was wondering how do i create an object ie a boulder , a box a charecter ? ok not looking for exactly how to do but what tool do i use ? ie do i need a third party one ? , i just downloaded the unity 4.3 version the free one

i will be greatfull for all help

oh im 30 and i live in ireland nice to meet yous

2. mikejkelley

mikejkelley

Hi yamser, you can come about 3d art assets in a number of ways. You can find some for free online, you can buy them, or you can create them in a 3d modeling program such as 3ds Max, Maya, or Blender. Blender is free. All take years to learn and master.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd recommend you start with assets obtained from the Asset Store; most of them are very good, and already set up to work nicely in Unity. Whereas if you download models from someplace like Turbo Squid, they often require quite a bit of massaging before they're ready for use in Unity; such massaging will require a modeling app (and knowledge of how to use it). So, when starting out, the Asset Store is your friend for sure.

But to make your own stuff from scratch, yes, in general you will need a 3D modeling tool. There are a couple of exceptions: Unity has a handful of basic primitives built in, so if you want a box, you can just create that from the Create menu (and then texture it — of course you'll need some sort of paint program to create the texture). The other exception is, if you're mathematically inclined, you can create models on the fly in code. Google "procedural mesh generation in Unity" if that's of interest to you. But it's fairly deep stuff — probably not an easy place to start.

Or, best yet, find a friend who's already into 3D modeling, and collaborate with him or her. You make it run, they make it look great! :)

4. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'd make those objects for you ;)