Search Unity

Absolute Drift - Playable Demo

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by funselektor, Jun 9, 2014.

1. funselektor

funselektor

June6.png

Absolute Drift is a car drifting game. The core mechanic is drifting, which is the driving style of intentionally over-steering so that the car loses traction and starts sliding. The goal is to remain in this state as long as possible, but it takes skill and practice to become a master.

The game is played with the keyboard or an XBOX controller (controls are shown in-game).

Included in this demo:
    • 3 Freestyle levels, where the goal is to get the max points in 2 minutes.
    • 2 Track Levels, where the goal is to get max points within 3 laps.
    There is a playable Windows demo available at this link, I'd really appreciate your input!
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/absolute-drift/downloads/absolute-drift-demo

May24.png
    ScreenshotSaturday_April26th2014.png

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. dINGLE

dINGLE

Hi Little_Gorilla

I really like the visuals and the way the information and text are integrated into the game.
    Simple but lot's of style!

I played for about 15 minutes with a controller.
    It was fun, but I never really got the hang of handling and drifting the car.

I know 15 minutes is not enough time to master a game but there were a couple of things that were unexpected from the handling perspective:

- The car seemed to drift the same regardless of throttle position. I would have expected it to lose grip more easily when on full throttle.
    - There didn't seem to be any weight transfer simulated. An example of this would be when suddenly releasing the throttle after it was full on. The weight of the car would shift forward, giving the front tyres more grip and the rear less. Although this may be much more involved to simulate ;)

Of course you may not be aiming for simulation style handling, and the above may just be my personal preference.

Well done on the game so far! :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. funselektor

funselektor

Thanks for the input dINGLE!

Originally, the handling was meant to be more like a simulation and it was quite sensitive to throttle position with the joystick, but it was quite hard to control with the keyboard input.

There were a few tricks that had to be incorporated into the handling to make it easier, and also to make it that more people that aren't familiar with racing games can play it. This was the main reason that it went in the direction of arcade-style handling, but I'd still like to make it easier and more intuitive to control.

4. DogeZ

DogeZ

Really nice menu and the credits (incorporated in the menu in such way) are just awesome.
    The style is nice. The levels have some problems here and there. Some of the breakable objects are clearly broken even before you touch them. I would expect to hear different sounds from each bell, all of them making a nice melody when you drift through them with fast speed. In the tutorial there is a red section which goes against the already established gameplay that red=wall/breakable object.
    Overall it is awesome! Needs a bit more polish. The gameplay is hard to master, which I like.

Would be a must have game if it comes with a track editor + multiplayer and social features.

5. funselektor

funselektor

If you check out "Track 1" the bells create a Melody similar to the Tokyo Drift theme song if you hit them in order.

I agree that it needs more polish, will also fix the breakable objects and create more melodic bells.

Definitely broke the rule about red=interaction with the tutorial level, I'll have to do some color switching there.

Some people have suggested a track editor & multiplier, but that will put the scope of the game through the roof, if the game got popular then it may be a possibility.

Thanks DogeZ :)

6. funselektor

funselektor

News1.png

The new update is out!
    In this update, the car can be controlled while in the air. Basically it can do flips and spins by holding the directional buttons and points are awarded for landing. There are also randomly generated names for each spin, play the demo to find out more!

The improvements for this build are:
    • Car automatically resets when it is upside-down.
    • Fixed a Reset Exploit.
    • High Score and Level score are displayed on Game Over.
    • Handling has been made easier.
    Try it here:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/absolute-drift

ScreenShotSaturday_June21.png

7. funselektor

funselektor

Started playing around with GIF's today.

1.gif

2.gif

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Very Nice, I really like the style

9. Fluzing

Fluzing

Looks very good! One suggestion:

If possible, adjust the alpha of the line renderers to match the strength of the drift. Stronger drifts mean stronger lines and no drift is no lines.

10. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Sadly, on my late 2011 MBP very slow (feels like 15-20 fps).
    I like the style and the overall concept, but such minimalistic graphics + 1 rigidbody (yeah plus the obstacles) should run on such a device :/?!

11. Lemo76

Lemo76

Two words, well make it three:
    'Add Chromatic Aberration!'
    Especially when the car is in air.

12. funselektor

funselektor

@Dennis_eA
    It is a little resource-heavy because of the number of rigidbodies- some of the levels with "destructable" cubes may have 100-200+.
    Might try making rigidbodies outside of the viewport kinematic or put them to sleep to help with performance.

@Fluzing
    That's a cool idea, I'd like to try that. Unfortunately the Unity Line Renderer is not very customizable, ie, the alpha of the entire line renderer can be changed but not individual segments. I hoping to try out lines that get wider to match the strength of the drift, like pressure-sensitive drawing. Maybe if I get some time I'll play around with a custom line renderer

13. Trak

Trak

Great game, had some fun with it.

14. Taishou

Taishou

Nice look

15. funselektor

funselektor

It's hard to tell without playing the game, but the audio has been improved greatly.
    There is also an addition to the First Freestyle level where you can jump between buildings.
    tower5.gif

16. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

17. funselektor

funselektor

18. Ichigo0Soul

Ichigo0Soul

Noticed something interesting on the "Main Menu." If you drive directly at the gate arms from the spawn area on the opposite side of the wall, it'll launch you into the air and over the exterior wall, leaving you free to roam to the edge. If you go to the northeast corner of the map, you can see 2 locations that are still under development. They are "Minefield" and "The Wall" and are sitting behind a sign that says "Closed For Construction." Couldn't find anything about this anywhere else, so I assume I'm the first person to have found it.

Minefield:
    Objective seems to be drifting close to the poles 5 times withing 40 seconds.

The Wall:
    Objective seems to be drifting as close to the wall as possible without hitting it. Time limit unknown.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  19. funselektor

funselektor

Ah you found some levels I was working but decided they weren't ready to put in the demo. The whole game has been redone so that won't be an issue in the release.

Check your inbox!

20. funselektor

funselektor

21. CoderPro

CoderPro

Hope you make a webplayer demo to play it !

Are you using UnityCar asset for your game ?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  22. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Yes they are, a bit of looking through the outputlog.txt
    Code (.txt):
    1. UnityCar: setup loaded succesfully from the file 'Assets\UnityCar\Samples\Car Setups\r34.txt'
    2. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)
    4. UnityCar: Tires "competition_front" loaded on front axle (Player)
    5. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)
    7. UnityCar: Tires "competition_rear" loaded on rear axle (Player)

23. burgereditor

burgereditor

Hello, im not sure if youll read this, but i played your game (bc it came free out in Epic Games) and i love it. I wanted to make an game like this, and maybe also an wallpaper engine bg where the car drifts/drives where youre mouse points to, but i think it will take me a lot time. You already have the engine, controller and co.. Could you do it as an interactable wallpaper? As far as i know, you can do it trough unity. Have a good day(if you wanna answer me please write under patriwachs@gmail.com thanks)