Search Unity

Absoluet beginner: help with getting started

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by thinksamuel, Jan 15, 2015.

1. thinksamuel

thinksamuel

Hello

I have to do an installation work on large scale but the audio system at our university is in repairs so I need to create a model. I thought of Unity for this so I have some questions:
    1) I have a world map where the user can walk on. It should be wrap up: so if you get to the edge you would go to the other side.
    2) at 8 points on the map I need to have a speaker emitting sound
    3) the sound (8 channels) has to come from MaxMSP.
    4) The user would thus walk on the world and the closer he gets to a speaker, the better he would hear the sound. Probably the best would be listening with headphones so you get a binaural experience?
    5) I would like to tag every speaker with some text that come from MaxMSP
    6) Not looking for a graphical gem, just a simulation of a possible space

Now: considering that I have never worked with Unity before (besides some beginner tutorials) how should I do this? Are there examples that I can use and adapt?
    Thank you very much

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Pay attention to what forum you're posting in. You posted this in physics, moved to audio.

3. goat

goat

1) Look at the very old now Unity '3D Platformer' example or any other example that shows how to 'teleport' a character - you need to create your environment such that when you walk at the edge of the map you get 'teleported' to the other side of the map and continue walking in the same direction.

2) Create empty game objects (or if those locations will be Geocaches of object(s) for example, use those) and attached the sound to those object - search the forums for the relevant examples.

3) 4) 5) I know nothing about that. You'll need to research more yourself.

6) There are many very large public domain Mercator world maps you can use as a texture on a Unity plain or create a Unity sphere to create a global and eliminate your teleporting problem. It's up to you.

1 & 6 should be easy for you, 2 - 5 you need to learn more yourself about Unity audio system and your own HW capabilities.