Search Unity

About unity assets, developers and copyrights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by karldv, Feb 4, 2016.

1. karldv

karldv

Hi guys, good day, don't know if this is the proper forum, so it's not, please move the post!

My doubt is basically what happened with the assets you buy in the store, some of them have many sells, and here is where I don't know how things works.

For example If me and another 10 persons buy the same pack of images for a puzzle game, and then a couple of weeks later one of those guys publish a game with that pack, what happens in that case?

1- The guy who publish the game first have all the rights about the images, and the other guys have to use a different pack of images for their games?

2- All the guys have the right to use the pack of images in their own games without the risk of being sued by another of the guys using the same pack no matter who publish a game with the pack first.

I greatly appreciate if someone can give some advice on this subject.

Best Regards, Karl

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

By purchasing assets from the Asset Store, you're receiving a license to use that content, royalty-free for your game or games. You don't really own the content, so not only can you not sue someone else for using the assets themselves, you also can't resell those assets in any way without express permission from the assets' author.

So I can't buy that puzzle pack and a few others and then compile them all together and resell it as Mega Puzzle Pack, for example.

It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Asset Store EULA and TOS.

dogmachris likes this.
  3. dogmachris

dogmachris

They couldn't sue anyone, because they own the images but not the rights on them. It would be like downloading a GPL software and then suing anyone who offers it for download - you own the software - but not the rights on it.

4. karldv

karldv

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for the quick answer, you were very clear about it, and definitively will read the EULA and TOS.

Now I'm ready to buy some assets in the store :D

Have a great day!

Best Regards, Karl